Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Another Wrap Question

I got a Tama Granstar yesterday. My friend give it to me for helping him do some work he needed done but didn't have the time.

He give me a Tama Granstar 24 Kick, 15 rack tom and 16 floor tom. I am going to remove the original black wrap and re wrap the drums.

The main question I have is 1. Will the shells have a lot of glue that will have to be sanded off or did tama only glue the seams.

2, Should I remove the mount off the bass drum and plug the hole? He give me the mounting hardware for rack tom to bass drum. Any advice is greatly appreciated in advanced. I have drummed all my life but recntly just started to restore old drumsExcited

Posted on 15 years ago

With a tom that size you might consider a snare stand on the left side of the bass (if you are right handed). It would allow you to have a lower placement for the striking surface. As far as the wrap...I think TAMA used tape on their drums. I also think they used glue on some. So, I'm gonna sit that part of the question out. Next...

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Genrally, Tama's are awesome to unwrap...because they usually taped just the seams and the top and bottom edges.

Get a heat gun and warm the area as you are unwrapping. Better than just tearing the wrap off the shell with no treatment. Give that Granstars are great shells, you shgouldn't have a problem with taking any of the outer ply with you. But it's a good idea to heat the wrap anyway (paint-stripper gun).

There will be residue on the shell from the tape. Use acetone on those areas to loosen the adhesive,a nd scrape off with a paint scraper. Let dry an hour, then sand the remaining residue off with a pad sander. It's a little bit of work, but not anything near as bad as unwrapping and prepping a glued-wrap shell.

IMHO...those older Granstars...those were the BEST drums Tama ever made.

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here