Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Another wrap glue question

Did Ludwig use contact cement or hide glue on their wraps in the mid 70s? I still can't get the old, dark brown, dried glue off the wrap and I've been trying everything. It's like the glue became part of the wrap, grrrr...Thanks again for all the help.

70s Slingy WMP
70s Ludwig Standard Aqua Mist
60s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Downbeat
and a whole bunch of snares and hardware
Posted on 10 years ago

I've never tried this on wrap, but I have had success removing glue from shells with this method.

Moisten the glue with lacquer thinner. when it dries, rub the glue with a PLASTIC eraser.

A WHITE PLASTIC one, not the pink rubber kind.

The glue will roll up into little balls and fall off.

60's Sonor Teardrops & 70s Premier AMs
Sabian
Vic Firth
Remo/Evans

"unless it's vintage, it's just another wooden tube."
Posted on 10 years ago

I like and have had good results with Klean Strip. KS-3 Premium Stripper is the one I use. Best used outside or VERY well ventilated shop. I think its mainly for paint but it takes a lot of other stuff off too. Id try that. Just apply it with a brush (the thicker the better) and wait 15 min then scrape off. Wear gloves! If you get it on your skin wipe it off quick! Good luck

Curtis

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks all, can't wait to try those and I will keep you posted - I assume both products won't damage the wrap?

70s Slingy WMP
Posted on 10 years ago

I would not put Klean Strip on a wrap. I thought the glue you were removing was only on the wood shell. Sorry for the confusion.

Curtis

Posted on 10 years ago

The more solvents I try along with scraping with a razor blade I realize that the wrap is actually stained from the old glue where the wrap shrank so now I'm thinking:

1. Is there a Champagne Sparkle touch-up paint available?

2. Should I look for matching wrap and cut and glue a 1 inch wide piece over the stained wrap and butt it up against the original wrap?

Other than this it's a matched set and in great condition, it even has the original heads from 1976 so it's worth my time.

All ideas appreciated - thanks again.

70s Slingy WMP
Posted on 10 years ago

With your drums in the original condition that you describe, I would learn to live with them the way they are as opposed to some type of cosmetic cover-up. You are much better off with them being original, even with a few bumps and bruises, than being altered. You won't regret leaving them as they are, but I believe you will regret the alteration.

Merry Christmas,

Bill

Posted on 10 years ago

I had the same situation with a couple of 15" and 16" concert toms. The wrap had receded and lifted a little and left that horrible glue residue on the wrap that was showing. I carefully scraped off what I could with a razor knife then just used tons of elbow grease and some goo gone. It was a pain but finally got it off and reglued the seams down. They look great now. Be careful what solvents you use on a wrap. Some will melt or remove the color on the wrap.

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here