Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Another vintage premier question

hello all, this will be my first post on here.

a shop i work at is doing some repairs for an old premier set. i can't find any stamp or series names to do more research on it to indicate the year or model, but they look to be 70's era, maybe 60's. i do have some serial numbers if that helps.

the problem is the heads. the ones on the set are original(they say 'premier everplay') and seem to be smaller than anything else in the store. all new heads are alot bigger than than the shell and it makes getting the hoop back on pretty awkward and sketchy.

does anyone know about this, and where i might be able to find some original heads or ones that are known to fit? thanks, shane

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi there

The Premier drums you mention are known as pre-international sizes. Your description fits the problem. These drums are nornally pre 1968, and you can get heads from Remo in pre international sizes, but are limited (someone correct me if im wrong) to the Ambassasor and Pinstripe ranges. You'll need to order them in for the kit. If there's a snare drum you'll most likely find a regular modern 14" head fits the drum, as the undersized shells mostly affected toms and floor toms.

Posted on 16 years ago

Remo makes 12, 16 and 20 inch heads, special orders for 22 inch are available but expensive.

Posted on 15 years ago

Capt and bigz are both correct.

I have Emperor heads on my Pre-Int kit and a Powerstroke 3 bass head (which cost me dearly). If you want the old Everplays they can be found once in a while on Ebay, usually used but in playable condition.

I'll dig up the order from REMO for my heads, so I can get numbers for you, if you don't mind Emperor coated heads (thicker).

Just be aware that you'll pay up to three times the amount for the heads compared to normal pricing. Also, at this writting, I am waiting for spare heads and I was told the lead time for special orders is 10 to 12 weeks.

Posted on 15 years ago

Gidday Shane

Mate I was talking to the bloke in the drum shop yesterday about the odd size Premier drums & he has some heads there I think they may of been the floor tom heads. What sizes are you after I will check them out for you.

Cheers

Dno

Posted on 15 years ago

As promised here are the part numbers for pre-international size heads for Premiers.

Emperor Coated Heads:

BE-0116-PR- 16" FT

BE-0112-PR- 12" Tom

PowerStroke 3 coated BD Head 22"

CM-0719-P3-21625 (21 5/8")

ps: the Everplay heads you have on the kit now ARE the original heads and no longer being made.

Posted on 15 years ago

It must be pre-internatioanl sizes. Remo have Pre internationa, in sweden they do not cost more than usualy Remo heads.

year 1969/1970 premier star with serail number, that´s why I guess its from that period. But I was thinking that year 1968 was last year with pre-sizes for Premier.

So I would guess, somethin between 1968 to 1970. Cant we see some pictures?

Camco LA-Ebony Stain-73/78?
Premier "Pre" Elite-Turquis Oyster-1969
Trixon Luxus-Red Ripple-1961
Sneres - Ludwig, Slingerland, GeoWay and so on...
Cymbals- Most K-Zildjian & Paiste 2002
(and some Pearl, Tama and so long, long time ago...)

http://groovesuperfly.webs.com/
Action Another action Something else here