Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Another Slingerland problem...

I've gotten ahold of a Slingerland drum from 1960 (determined from partial date stamp and badge). The drum is 12" depth and 15" diameter. It appears to have been wrapped in some kind of contact paper which peels very easily to reveal a great green spankle finish. First the good news:

Stick saver hoops, lugs, tension screws, and badge are in good condition and likely original.

Now the very bad news:

The drum has been drilled with 20+ very small holes at various points in the shell. The bearing edge is cracked(along the hoop, not split in the middle), and the original wrap is flaking near some of the holes to reveal what may be a gold sparkle finish underneath. Also, someone has written "Riverside #2" in marker on the inside of the shell.

What will it take to restore this drum(re-wrapping, filling holes, etc.)? What might it cost? I really want to try and save this drum, but I don't know if it's practical or possible.

Help

~Pants

"There is no spoon."

Posted on 18 years ago

What you have there is a parade drum which has little value but for the parts. A restoration would far go over the value at this point. Best to keep the parts and find a better parade shell or kit snare.

Posted on 18 years ago

Does it have little value because it's a parade drum, or because it's in such bad shape. What I mean to say is, wouldn't a parade drum be more uncommon than a normal snare or tom?

~Pants

"There is no spoon."

Posted on 18 years ago

Not uncommon enough. There are lots and lots of those parade drums out there. It would cost way more money to resore than the drum is worth. Every now and then, there are MINT-condition examples of these drums that show up on Ebay. I mean, like drums that look like they haven't ever been taken off the shelf and played at ALL. And THOSE drums often go for under $100.

That size is not very applicable to drum set use, either....Drum SET drums are most desirable.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Nope, marching drums in general are not worth much unless they have some special historical significance to an early war or possibly just a rare color.

Even a rare color will only bring the value up a little. Most of the time they are good parts drums because they have been modified or abused

David

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here