Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Another set of Majestics appear from the past

Well, I see that a whole lot of Majestics are mysteriously coming to life. Could it be the economy, and the fact people either need money, or find a smokin hot deal? I found these on CL for an embarrassing price. In fair to good shape, playable with new heads. I doing a mini-restore right now. I don't have the time or the money to do a complete lugs off job right now as my son's birthday is today and we are having the party this weekend. They will do nicely for him to learn on. Anybody ever see a set with matching 12" toms?!?! Is the hardware, pedals stands etc original? I know the cymbal arm is missing...Lame....but the hi-hat and bass pedals, are they correct for these drums? The guy who used to own them says they were his dad's gig kit, and he played them out all over the honky-tonk scene in Oklahoma. The guy I bought them from knows diddly about drums. Any help or info is greatly appreciated!!!

3 attachments
"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 15 years ago

As far as I can recognize the badges on floor tom and rack tom differ?!

Identical rack tom sizes on a bass drum were typically done by Premier, but this is not a Premier set. I assume that someone in the past has added the second tom to this set a little bit later.

Can you take away this adhesive wrap around the pedals, please?

Perhaps there's a sign of the manufacturer below that - or there's

rubber (in a typical shape) on the pedal or anything other ...

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 15 years ago

From Ralf

As far as I can recognize the badges on floor tom and rack tom differ?!Identical rack tom sizes on a bass drum were typically done by Premier, but this is not a Premier set. I assume that someone in the past has added the second tom to this set a little bit later.Can you take away this adhesive wrap around the pedals, please?Perhaps there's a sign of the manufacturer below that - or there's rubber (in a typical shape) on the pedal or anything other ...Ralf

Oh, they are Majestic De Luxe, thanks for pointing out the difference. The floor tom is a "Semi Pro" model, just noticed it. 100% matching, even down to the "serial" numbers. I had not touched them when those pics were taken, so they appear to be different, but they just filthy. All of them, including the extra tom, are factory sprayed inside in a tan color, the pics make them appear rougher than they actually are. All numbers are "4468" for 12" and bass, snare is "6846" stamped inside. The floor tom has a different quality shell. And is not painted inside. And the snare! OMG, if I had known it was going to sound good, it was almost worth what I paid for the whole kit. It is almost "perfect" condition. The pics show it in right now condition, have not touched it. It is still dusty from the time in the storage area. It has a sharp crack, and no off sounds or ringing. As for the pedals, I have just pulled the sandpaper (yes, sandpaper) off the hi-hat pedal...see pic (Ludwig Chicago Spur-Lok). As for the bass pedal, it is cheapo stamped metal with no names stamped in. I suspect it is the original, as it is a leather drive!

I know there is no historical value, or real monetary value to these drums. I just want to know about them. My brother was a drummer, I play percussion, wife plays piano, flute and harmonica and now my little boy wants to learn to drum. We have 2 electric pianos, drums galore, harmonicas, a flute, a guitar, we are just music folk. I hope to make a hobby of picking up old kits and restoring them, as this is something I could do with the boy.

Thanks, Ralf, for your help!

3 attachments
"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
Posted on 15 years ago

Here they are cleaned up, tuned up and ready to rock! The pictures do not lie, the bass wrap is very faded, the snare is in amazing condition for it's age and the rest, well I'm pretty happy with my purchase. Except that as soon as I put tension on the snare side head, it popped thru the hoop!DOH It is the original head and was very brittle. I posted an "emergency" plea on CL for a quick fix, and a guy called within 15 mins and gave me a brand new snare side!!! Thanks Joe, my little boy is going to love it!

All in all, this is a decent little kit. It really sounds nice on just a quick tune up. The brass is as follows: 13" crash A. Zidjian USA, 16" ride Stanople Paiste, Germany, 14" hi-hat, Stanople Paiste, Germany. The hi-hat stand is a Ludwig Spur-Lok, and works perfectly.

The heads are a combination of new, old and ancient, Walking and for the most part in ok condition except for the snare batter, which is new. The floor tom has a slightly used weather king batter, and the reso is shot. The bass is basically the same condition, but they all tuned up extremely well, considering. I honestly was not expecting them to sound anywhere near as good as they do, especially with bad heads, for the most part. So now, I am going to tell you all what I paid for this lovely little kit. I am really looking forward to getting the heads all squared away and a good tune up and give them a work-out.

14X20, (2) 8X12, 14X14, 5X14 snare

All hardware and brass.

USD $50.00

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here