Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Another Rogers Project? .... I just couldn't help myself... ;^)

Seems I'm smitten with the Rogers re-do bug. Picked this kit up yesterday. Was on Ebay a couple of months ago, way overpriced for such a mess.

But I couldn't resist. After two weeks of negotiating over the phone, finally got the owner down to something close to reality.

Mayfair tags (sequential on two!) on the three piece. With b&b, seems to point to the Rogers Video kit from the 1960 catalog. Hoop mounted tom hardware is present. 22/13 with 14x5 snare. All have the final script badge, so 1961/62???? Opinions?

Three ply, two ply rerings.

The lugs are actually in pretty good shape, just a few smaller cracks.

The 16 ft is a later cleveland holiday with beavertails, so likely an add-on.

The snare is complete, with a muffler and tallboys. The rest of the drums have lost their bottom rims/parts, so these will need supplied. No extra holes or mods. Does show evidence of the problem with removing bottom heads with such thin shells. The 13 shows that top-only tension has pulled on a couple of the bottom of the b&b's, lifting the shell up at the mounting point. Fixable, but a pain.

I LOVE the distressed duco look. The snare really shows it. That will stay put.

This one is going to be fun. And long.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 8 years ago

Gorgeous and exciting score! Really looking forward to your progress [pics] on this one....!

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

Hi John man those are too cool! Really nice project. Not bad on missing parts either. TB hoops are kinda easy to find but can vary in price a bit. Glad your keep the Duco as is it looks very nice.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 8 years ago

Wow, nice find, I am also interested in following what you do with it.

Posted on 8 years ago

Mayfair tags? First I've ever heard of them. What are they like? Make? thanks

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 8 years ago

Larry

Mayfair was the Rogers b&b center lug shell line in the late 50's and early 60's. Replaced by the Tower line when they went beavertail. Listed in the 1960 catalog, the duco full set was called Bandstand outfit; drop the floor tom and it was called the Video outfit.

John

John/Levelpebble

Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Fibes Copper Forte
Posted on 8 years ago

In cleaning up the duco 16 cleveland Holiday beavertail floortom, came across an unexpected surprise - took the knobbies off and saw what looked like a gasket sandwiched in between the knobby and the shell -no biggy I thought. Until I pulled it off and turned it over - Black Diamond Pearl wrap!! Hasn't seen the light of day in 50 years!! All three the same.

Anyone else find novel factory re-use of inventory like this?

Outside picture shows finish after Mequir's Ultimate Compound and a coat of car wax. The edges are perfect, classic 64/65 profile, and there definitely is a thin veneer of mahogany under the paint.

John/levelpebble

John/Levelpebble

Fibes Copper Forte
Posted on 8 years ago

Man that's one special kit. Love the duco. The snare stand in the first pic is an old Rogers too, which maybe you knew, but I had to google it. was very glad to find out, because I have one, and thought it was MIJ...:)

Wish you speedy casing sourcing...

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

That is a fantastic drum set!

Posted on 8 years ago

Yes, that snare stand is what made me commit to the deal, as I wasn't expecting it when I drove up. I've already got the same stand with my Rogers BDP kit, so I can clean it up and monetize that pretty quickly if I choose.

The best part of that stand is it easily accepts 15" snares, and I have a wood hoop 14" that is always a pain.

Keep in mind, there are MIJ versions of this stand (called the Giant model in the catalogues, I believe) that are very close clones.

John

From DownTownFarmer

Man that's one special kit. Love the duco. The snare stand in the first pic is an old Rogers too, which maybe you knew, but I had to google it. was very glad to find out, because I have one, and thought it was MIJ...:)Wish you speedy casing sourcing...Mitch

John/Levelpebble

Fibes Copper Forte
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here