Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

ANother NO-NO WHY??

This was on C/L asking 650.00 for the set...Nice Roger's set but WHY? Check the photo from the listing....Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

i've wondered that about a lot of drum alterations, tape, add ons,extra holes in odd places,removed items(mostly mufflers),non-original hoops,missing badges,painted chrome,throwoff replacements, internal lights,bad rewrap jobs,pillows in kick drums and on and on. sometimes, original parts aren't to be found for repairs and a temporary fix becomes more or less permanent but there are a lot of drummers who revere their taste and ability as above the design and intention of the drummaker's and choose to stamp the instrument with their own brand so to speak and to be fair its their drum and it just might be an improvement??---- of course sometimes, the original equipment just isn't up to it as well. i've taken a bit of flack for varnishing the inside of shells that were originally bare. i think i started doing that because my first drums were Trixon and they always made their shells with great care and finished the inside with bevelling, sanding and varnishing. i tried that on a few other drums and it seemed to improve them so, i've continued the practice until recently when i have had pause for reflection on that . in the case you point out, probably the original part(s) were lost or damaged at some point and couldn't be found or repaired. one thing is for sure, bass drum accessories are actually not made in drum factories. they are made in airplane factories and then trucked over. ever look up and see a thin silver needle streaking towards the apex, leaving a trail behind it? bet you thought those were airplanes, didn't you? no, those are either spurs or bass mounted cymbal arms----possibly even tom arms.

Posted on 13 years ago

I could understand how someone might alter the collet swivo bass spurs not anticipating they'd be worth anything. They probably had trouble tightening it.

Posted on 13 years ago

That alteration may be reversable,at least cosmetically.Those collets were a problem if you had the cast ring to tighten it.They would flare out and eventually not tighten at all.My 73 Swivo's were converted to Pearl swivelling spurs because of that,but the tom mounts were left alone,and I was able to get machined rings for those.The top "tang" of the spur collet would snap right off because all the weight of the drum and toms would be on it instead of all four tangs.And if you tried to tighten the flared out ring too much,an arm might snap off and give you a nice gash-Like em or not,the Pearl style swivel spurs were quite a step forward-but not original....No more walking or rocking.

Posted on 13 years ago

Who woulda ever knew that thier drum kit would be worth a small fortune if you still had it in original condition. My 1st kit was a 4 piece slingy. I dont even remember the sizes or original color. I do remember having one of my dads body shop painter friends paint them gold metalflake, the later I covered them in black vinyl. My step mom sold them in a garage sale for $40.

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 13 years ago

From poppy79424

Who woulda ever knew that thier drum kit would be worth a small fortune if you still had it in original condition. My 1st kit was a 4 piece slingy. I dont even remember the sizes or original color. I do remember having one of my dads body shop painter friends paint them gold metalflake, the later I covered them in black vinyl. My step mom sold them in a garage sale for $40.

I passed on a beautifully aged '60s WMP Slingerland kick when I was about 17. I am glad I did, in a way, 'cos I was going to re cover it to match my old Rogers...

All of these alterations make an unaltered drum that much more valuable!!!! I am the odd one that generally wants mongrel and altered (to a point) drums, 'cos they become more affordable after alteration. Also, if worse comes to worse, altered drums are so much easier to cannabalise for parts.

Nobody can predict future values. Then there's the people who buy brand new items thinking "these are gonna be worth something some day...", which is a whole other topic...

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Judging by the lugs, and the incorrect BD hoop, I think it is doubtful this is a later fullerton era bd, with cast collets replaced due to failure. I think it is more likely a partially stripped drum that someone tried to rebuild.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here