Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Another New User!

Hey everyone:

I'm sure looking forward to connecting with other drum enthusiasts in this forum. . .I'm brand new so abuse me while you can! To help get you started, here's my first stupid question. . .I have a few drums about which I have questions so I thought I would just expose my throat here!

1. Ludwig 400, 5" X 14", with date stamp inside of 21720 and serial number 912309 on the badge. . .Is the 400 the same as a supraphonic? Does the date stamp mean February 1, 1972? It's an 8-lug metal drum. . .is it the 'Ludalloy' I've heard about? It's got the sharper cornered blue and turquoise parallelogram badge.

2. I've got a Ludwig 6-lug, 5" X 14", painted wood interior, kind of oyster finish with what looks to be the 58/59 'transition keystone badge'. . .is that the only time this badge was used confirming it's a 58 or 59? The serial number on the badge is 532601 which would seem to indicate a 1968 according to the handy listing of 60's serial numbers but do the numbers on that list apply to 6-lug drums?

3. How about an 8-lug aluminum, 5" X 14", keystone badge with serial number 84937. . .looks like that would put it in the 1968 realm although I don't know if that list applies to all Ludwig drums.

4. Finally, I have a Tama ImperialStar 6.5" X 14" with serial number 83 05553 which, I think, means it's a 1983 and that would make sense but I don't know the Tama serial numbering system. . .can anyone confirm? Also, it seems to me to be a terrific drum with the die cast hoops and all and great sound, and, yet I see them selling for almost nothing. . .what gives with that drum??

Okay, enough fodder for your potshotting enjoyment! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Take care and thanks for letting me spew!!

Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

1. Supraphonic is the same as a 400. It should have 10 lugs, not 8.

2. The transition badge would be the keystone with blue paint on it and it wouldn't have a serial #.

Post some pics and we can answer your ?s better.

Posted on 17 years ago

Awesome. . .thanks. . .yes, the 400 is a 10-lug drum (helps to simply count 'em, eh?). After looking at some pictures, I'm thinking that what I called an aluminum drum (5X14, 8-lug. . .counted this time) might be an Acrolite composed of the 'Ludalloy'. None of the drums is in great shape with the 400 having been through a house fire and the plating really flaking everywhere as a result. Might be worth a refinish? I'll get set up with some picture capability because I am confused on the transition badge question and I'd love to have your help in figuring that out. . .

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here