Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Another kind of question: new tama vs vintage pearl snare?

I'm now faced with the choice of keeping my 2007-2008 Tama Metalworks 5.5x14 snare drum vs. trading it for a 80's (I think) Pearl Jupiter COB snare. I am looking for a 'professional' metal snare sound for use in a modern heavy rock band. Now, the Tama is made in China, so it seems to be one of the lower grade drums but I think it sounds sweet enough, but I found this Jupiter and my newly discovered passion for vintage drums is drawing me to it. Right now it seems that this Tama is woth more than a Jupiter, problem is I can't afford to keep both. Let me know what do you guys think, which would you choose and why, from any point of view. Oh, and please excuse me if my question is too... Lame

Posted on 15 years ago

Voted Pearl - no expert on either, but love the vintage sound - I've owned a few modern metal snares and never been blown away...just think the more mass produced things are, the more generic they sound. I'm sure Tama's top flight range of snares are great, but I'd go with the pearl.

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 15 years ago

I have a COB Jupiter and I like it. I have no idea what the Tama Metalworks snares sound like, though.

If you'd like to hear what that Jupiter sounds like on record, listen to The Police (early stuff).

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here