Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Anatomy of a Clamshell "super" strainer........

I was wondering if someone can confirm a few things for me about the Slingerland Clamshell strainers. I'm making one for my 50's RK snare. I find them very difficult to find as parts. So until I can I thought I'd craft one from scratch. The tension side is complete and works great. My main question is to the throw side handle on/off. I see the original throw side body has a indentation where the handle fits into. Is this the off position where the snare wires are away from the reso head? And then when the handle is turned to move out of the indentation this is then the on position where the snare wires are engaged against the reso head? I'm pretty sure this is how it works but if someone can confirm this it would be a great help. I've never had one or had the chance to see one in person. So I'm not 100% positive how they work. I have pretty much everything I need to fab one from scratch. Just some misc hardware to finetune the assembly. I'm sure some trial and error too. Once I have a clear picture how the handle assy works I can continue on the wood body I made. Any thoughts/info would be much appreciated~!

Glenn.

2 attachments
Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

Glenn, PM sent.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

and back at you Jeff thanks!

Glenn.

Posted on 11 years ago

Glenn the first pic the snare is tight. Second pic its loose. Third pic its tight again. When its loose the handle is in that center groove. It will tighten up when moved to the left or right. I think the idea was to have two differnt settings. Because the snares seem a little tighter with the handle all the way to the left than it does to the right. Make sense?

Jeff C

3 attachments

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 11 years ago

Yes, that's just what I was looking for thanks Jeff~! This is a really helps alot. :)

Glenn.

Posted on 11 years ago

Your welcome, I cant wait to see your home made one put together!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here