Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

An unknown snare question!

Hello.

First let me apologize for probably posting this question in the wrong topic, I don't really know where to ask. So, I recently found this badly beaten red snare drum, I believe it's of 14x5" size, could be wrong, it says on the badge that it is a Yamaha AR-1500 live.

The funny thing here is that Google finds the AR-1500 live to be a guitar amp, not a snare drum. So I'm thinking someone must have nailed that badge onto it.

Anyways, I've taken some pictures of it and would like to know what kind of snare this is, if anyone knows that is. I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thank you in advance.

Photos:

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

You are right - the badge seems to have nothing to do with the drum. The drum looks to have so many extra holes and parts that it is hard to know what it started as. It could easily be a cut down piece of a larger drum. I don't recognize the lugs, but they look English or European to me. Although some drum manufacturers put the lugs for top and bottom head side-by-side like this, I don't recognize these, making me think it is even more likely to be a marching drum or tom that was cut down and the lug holes redrilled.

Posted on 14 years ago
Posted on 14 years ago

Mmkay, how about the wood? It's a 3 ply something 3 ply something else. It looks pretty bad, but do you think it's worth putting a little effort in and trying to salvage what's left of it or should I just toss the thing away?

Thanks.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Luc...I'll buy it from you, don't toss it. PM me and we can discuss.....I have been looking for an Amati snare for a while....more out of curiosity than anything else as they aren't very sought-fter and are actually pretty obscure in the drum world (Amati made bad cymbals but also fairly decent brasswinds).... even though this one may be in iffy shape, I still would be interested.

Cheers.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Is it possible to determine the type of wood from the photos?

As far as speculations go that is.

Posted on 14 years ago

Here's its brother: http://hudba.bazos.cz/inzerat/4867003/Virbl-AMATI-se-stojanem.php

So I was wrong about it being cut down - but I don't understand why the lug screws are so messed up - some with big washers, some with none, and big square stains like each lug had an inside plate that is missing. Is there a strainer and butt attached? The wood is too far away to see in your pics, but it looks like a hardwood - maybe a birch similar to scandanavian birch?

Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah the wood looks pretty beaten up, I can't really say what's been done to it, since I just got it two days ago. There's no strainer on it, no butt, no badge all that's left of the snare are the lugs and the wood.

Can't get a better shot of the wood due to my crappy camera. It's 3 ply dark brown 3 ply soft brown if that helps, although I know it doesn't :D. I-m hoping it's birch.

I'm going to replace the washers and all, do you think I should do anything with the wood or would it be better to just leave it the way it is. Does rust on the wood affect the sound?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hello!

Newer Amati drums were made from beech. I'm not sure about these earlier ones, but I guess there's some beech in it, too. Don't expect big quality.

If you want to restore it, you'll have to have the edges re-cut. Also, Amati snares had somehow wrong bottom edges. Take a look at some good wooden snare-bottom edge is lowered under the strainer. Amatis didn't have it, so it needs to be done, too.

How will it sound after all this? I honestly do not know. I don't know how long it was headless and what else happened to it. I could buy you snare like this, in much better condition, here, but we'd have to figure out a way how you'd pay me-I don't have PayPal.

Have a nice day.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here