Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

An unfortunate shipping casualty

This may not be the correct forum, but I recently purchased a 72 Ludwig kit online. As I was unpacking, I was thinking to myself, "man, this shipper knows how to pack," until I got to the bass drum. The rail consolette was wrapped well in foam, folded over and tightened. Personally, I take these off when shipping. Long story short, the bolt when right thru the shell.

My question is- can this be repaired? Anyone ever have experience with this kind of damage?

Posted on 7 years ago

Ouch, So sorry.

Yes repairable. Myself would make inner and outer "bucks" that conform to the shell radius larger than the issue. It is just a clamp and glue from there.

Hold off for a few days and get other suggestions. Go from there.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 7 years ago

Sorry about this, man! I would contact Gary at Precision drums and get some expert advice from him. I'm sure he would have some valuable advice.

Posted on 7 years ago

Depending upon where you at ,

http://www.toddcreatedwood.com/

I had a Peal bass drum that was cracked and he did a pretty good job.

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks everybody. After talking to a couple of local guys, I'm going to return for a full refund, rather than bartering repair costs for a discounted price. It sounds like once the shell has been cracked throughout, the drum will never be the same. This one hurts! Its my favorite finish, and I love the Super Classic setup with the offset rail consolette. Hopefully I can find another one, and convince the seller to remove the consolette for shipping.

Posted on 7 years ago

If it's perfect otherwise I'd repair it.

I'm a fan of marine epoxy (west system) but wood glue works well.

Bucks wrapped in waxed paper, wet rags, threaded for washers and nuts. About an hour set up and then wait for it to cure.

I'm just saying that because you may get your refund and be waiting however long to find another kit that ticks the boxes for you, rather than playing!

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here