Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Amati Snare Strainer

So I'm looking to pick up a 60's Blue Sparkle Amati snare. The original strainer is long gone and the holes were plugged. I doubt I'll be able to find an original, but would like to get as close as possible. I was thinking of the Gibraltar George Way strainer. I've installed those before and love the feel. Also been contemplating locating a Parallel Action Or Super Sensative strainer system. Especially since this snare has no snare beds. Any help or photos of the strainer / strainers used on Amati drums would be great.

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_104_40&products_id=6877

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Here are an old strainer and last one.

I think that it will be easy to find these on chech or ukrainian drum sites -- there are often placed to sell them.

Amati have only two types system and never had a parallel throw on both of them.

Some of modern strainers have a fixing holes identical last Amati.

Cheers,

George.

2 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks George! Yea the style I'm looking at very closely resembles the old strainer. So I think I'll go with that, and if need be make snare beds. Though I'll see if I can't coax the sweet sound before I do that.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Getting a new mechanism is probably a good idea. The old strainers are a massive pain to set up just right, because you have to tie strings in holes on both ends, which are both movable (throw-off and finer adjustment) and getting the proper position of the strainer is therefore very difficult.

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 8 years ago

What's interesting is that the newer strainer I want to use is very similar to what they used. But I've installed them before and they've always worked very well. The only slight pain for some might be that you have to tie knots at the ends of each wire in order for them to sit nicely in each side. Easy with standard string, not so easy with the actual wire you get with Puresound snares.

1 attachments
18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here