Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Alternate Wrap Material

There have been more than a few threads here discussing alternate, non-traditional materials to use as drum wrap, such as wood veneers and industrial vinyl. One thread mentioned countertop laminates. Although these materials wouldn't be appropriate in restoring vintage drums, I chose to think outside the box for a rewrap on an older Mapex set I picked up. Photo of the set as I received it....

[Attachment: 131420]

A friend gave me two 4'x8' rolls of countertop laminate which she was going to throw out. I thought the simulated granite pattern would look great on the grimy, modern Mapex set, so I stripped the drums and started cutting the laminate. What a P.I.T.A.!! The stuff is very difficult to cut and has a tendency to crack if you cut too fast. After a lot of wasted material and a lot of contact cement, the results actually looked great, but I wouldn't recommend anyone trying this. If the material hadn't been given to me free, I wouldn't have tried this. I'm sticking to traditional drum wrap materials from now on. Final results:

[Attachment: 131421] [Attachment: 131422] [Attachment: 131423] [Attachment: 131424]

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 4 years ago

Very Cool !! I like it.

Reminds me of the look of some of the expensive high-end snare drums of the 20s and 30s.

Posted on 4 years ago

UPDATE:

Ended up donating this set to a local church in need, creating more open space in my basement for something new. Win-win.

Mike

Posted on 4 years ago

Cool Mike,

I used to do construction and laminates can be tricky.

Nice job. I bought a back-line kit for a benefit concert and it had spandex for a covering.

Pretty good idea actually. it didn't look bad.

I used it that way for awhile and then had the shells painted Candy Apple with gold flakes. still have the spandex coverings. Slipped right off the shells

Just a quick thought for ideas if anyone is looking for new ideas for wraps.

Wayne

Posted on 4 years ago

Along the same lines as the Spandex, I've often thought that some sort of shrink wrap would be cool. The perfect product would come in tube form, sized to fit over the shell easily, and then shrink tight with the heat gun. It would be perfect for some of those flaking Supra shells I have laying around. I would be quick easy and not damage the original finish underneath. maybe I'll go by an auto wrap place and ask for some scrap to play around with.

Stop stringing and tuning your instrument, make music now.
-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:
1970ish Ludwig Standard Avocado Strata downbeat
1970ish Star Acrylic 22,12,13,16
1950’s Gretsch tympani 26.5
19?? Sonor roto-tympani 13x12
70’s Ludwig Standard alum 14x5 snare
90’s Arbiter Adv. Tuning 12x5 snare
90’s Ludwig blackrolite 14x5 snare

Modern Drums:
Erie Drums 1-ply sycamore shell kit 18,10,13
Erie 1-ply maple 14x5 snare
Tama S.L.P. Acrylic 14x6.5 snare
Posted on 4 years ago

I buy super gloss 4'x8' sheets of plastic credit card thick for $20 and then make my own. Possibilities are endless, exactly like regular drum wrap. you paint/ treat the inside and apply. Super easy to cut.

2 attachments
Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 4 years ago

Fix is the supplier local to us in Mtl?

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 4 years ago

From drumfx

I buy super gloss 4'x8' sheets of plastic credit card thick for $20 and then make my own. Possibilities are endless, exactly like regular drum wrap. you paint/ treat the inside and apply. Super easy to cut.

Drumfx:

Where do you buy this??? That material would open up endless possibilities at a very low cost.

Mike

Posted on 4 years ago
Action Another action Something else here