Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Alloy Supra W/Flawless Chrome?

Hey Gang,

In my latest quest (70's Brass Supra w/Modified Badge...Brass?/Alloy?) I noticed that someone mentioned, (or led me to a sight that mentioned) that if you have an old Supra, and it's NOT brass, then you have a Pitted Supra

I have a couple of Alloy Supras, one is a '65 and the other from the '80's and neither has any pitting at all. The '65 is absolutely Mint but for one tiny little scratch.

I'm learning that Chrome over Brass is much more compatible than Chrome over Alloy. That being said, how is it none of my Supras, Chrome OR Brass have pitting?

Thanks,

Stix

Posted on 16 years ago

There are lots and lots of alloy Supras with little or no pitting, but they are not as common as the pitted ones. I've heard that Ludwig outsourced the plating to a few different companies, and that each company had their own level of success with chrome plating on aluminum. I've also heard theories that it depends on the level of moisture in the air where the drum is located, but I don't really believe this to be true - I've bought several Supraphonics near the coast in Long Island, and have found some pitted beyond recognition, but others to look almost new.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

I've got two alloy Supras that are flawless.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

From mlvibes

There are lots and lots of alloy Supras with little or no pitting, but they are not as common as the pitted ones. I've heard that Ludwig outsourced the plating to a few different companies, and that each company had their own level of success with chrome plating on aluminum. I've also heard theories that it depends on the level of moisture in the air where the drum is located, but I don't really believe this to be true - I've bought several Supraphonics near the coast in Long Island, and have found some pitted beyond recognition, but others to look almost new.

Thanks.....makes sense!!!!!

Posted on 16 years ago

From O-Lugs

I've got two alloy Supras that are flawless.

Excellent!!!!!!! This makes sense

Posted on 16 years ago

Mines not flawless, but in very good condition. ('67)

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here