Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

All time record for receiving drum wrap in the post?

Hi Gentlemen,

It's been a little while since I posted here, but I thought this was worth telling.

Today, exactly fourteen months ago, I put in an order for some wrap from Andy at Drum Maker. I received them this afternoon Sept 25, 2017, fourteen months to the day since I ordered them. Now, my question is, is this a record?

But I'm not knocking Andy at all, far from it. He was very nice and apologetic about it in all the emails over the past year, and as helpful as he could be - this was a Delmar thing, and it took that long for him to be able to get the stuff from them. Turquoise Diamond Pearl, which last year was a new run on offer. Sadly it turns out not quite what I thought to be the right colour to match my 60s non-Star Hoshino BD (pictured). The pics on his website looked very close, closest I'd seen in fact, and he sent me a picture last week when it finally came in, and it looked pretty right. But no, it's too light. I'll take a pic of the wraps together so you can see what I mean. Oh well, I have other drums I can wrap...

What I've learned from this experience is that photos of wrap can lie, and there's nothing to compare with seeing it in the flesh.

R.A.M (Trev)

Posted on 6 years ago

Okay, here's the new wrap with my Hoshino...

1 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Funny, I was just posting about this very thing on a Premier FB group.

This is one of the reason's I get my wrap from Jammin' Sam's. They usually have multiple pictures of the wrap ON a kit, real world pictures. I just don't trust pictures of the wrap itself (like on Drummaker, or Precision).

I think most places are pretty good about sending a sample, right? I guess in your situation, a sample wasn't possible?

At any rate, nice looking wrap, I can understand your disappointment though.

It would be cool to hear other peoples experiences in a similar situation.

Posted on 6 years ago

Yeah, I tried Jammin' Sam's. He's usually really good, but he couldn't help me with what I was after.

And yeah, it wasn't possible to get a sample and so I just had to trust him.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Posted on 6 years ago

hello Trev, I bought some burgundy sparkle from (drums and some 1) made by Delmar, got a super deal. love at first sight, went right to work covering a set, was not trying to match anything up! they even sent me an extra sheet!

I was well under way when I brought out a Ludwig drum to see how close in match it was, looked like nite & day, not close at all. I later learned they were reproducing Ludwig, gretsch, and a couple of off shades? I think I was sent something other than Ludwig.

I ended with a nice kit, if any of these repro wraps match, its sheer luck.

Posted on 6 years ago

It's bummer R.A.M that your wrap didn't match, and that you had to wait so long. At least you eventually got your product. I won't go in to too many gory details, but Andy at Drum Maker has a horrible business record, and last I checked (years ago) he had an F- rating with the Better Business Bureau.

He held my product and/or money hostage more than once. The last time I did business with him, he was out of the products I ordered (I think it was several sizes of 2.3mm hoops). It took over 9 months to get my money back from him, including countless emails, phone calls, and all the way up to contacting the Consumer Affairs Board of the State of Tennessee (he's based in Nashville). Bottom line, he will never get one cent from me ever again. When I saw him at the Chicago Drum Show, there was a lot I wanted to say to him, but the kind, "high road" part of me was stronger, and I just walked past without saying anything.

Let's not forget our own "Compact Drums" here on VDF and his wrap company: Walopus. They make lots of cool stuff, and I understand he has the capability to custom match wrap if you send him a drum or sample. Precision and Jammin' Sam are also good sources, but I would rather support a forum member that is really doing quality and innovative stuff. I'm getting ready to order some of his Mardi Gras wrap for a project within the next month.

Anyway, R.A.M, glad you were able to use the wrap, and although it didn't match, that's still a great wrap on it's own merits.

Just my 2.7 cents (inflation adjusted).

V

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for your replies and sympathies, Gentlemen.

Burgundy, would love to see your re-wrapped kit!

Vyacheslav, yeah, never waited so long for something in my life. In the past six months I've been hearing similar stories about Andy from other people and other forums, so I was starting to be concerned quite a while ago. I've bought lugs and other parts from him before without any hiccups, so this was, let's be honest, somewhat annoying!

Anyway, it's not a total loss, I can still use the wrap elsewhere.

And I forgot all about Walopus! Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to get onto them.

Cheers,

R.A.M (Trev)

Posted on 6 years ago

Those are gorgeous drums. Well done.

Edit: My bad, I misunderstood. If I see anything like what you're looking for I'll pass it on.

Posted on 6 years ago

The original wrap is beautiful! Too bad you had to wait for such a long time for wrap that ended up being nowhere near the shade you wanted!

-Mark

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here