Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

All Opinions Welcome!

I recently purchased a vintage Rogers Holiday kit in original Wine Red Ripple Pearl wrap. I've posted a pic of the kit in the "Vintage Image Gallery."

I really like the functionality aspect of this kit because it can be played either as a 4 or 5-piece, since all required hardware is accounted for. It's also a great sounding kit.

Although functionally strong, the kit does have a few cosmetic issues: The prior owner installed small mics in the toms, which required that three small holes (3/8") be drilled in each shell. The original wrap on the floor tom also shows some minor cracking.

At the present time I can live with these cosmetic "flaws." However, I've been kicking around the idea of having the small holes filled down the road and having the entire kit wrapped in Green Glass Glitter, which I really like.

At the same time, I've been thinking of future re-sale value and wonder if a possible re-wrap would be a huge mistake? I'm not really sure how desirable the Wine Red Ripple Pearl wrap currently is and I'd obviously need to take into account the extra holes in the shells on this particular kit. The re-wrap effort itself would also cost me a "few pennies."

Just wanted to get some thoughts on what might be the wise thing to do and why. I don't plan on initiating any modifications to the kit at this time but am simply adding it as a possible "future project."

As usual, thanks in advance for your time and your help!

Posted on 14 years ago

Congrats on the score.Walking I would say that with the three holes drilled in the drums for the mics that it will then, unfortunately,never be a museum level collector any more. Collectors are too picky and I do think it is worth more $ with the original wrap.

Here in Japan, it seems, that if you have the thing professionally re-wrapped from a known shop then it will retain a decent re-sale value. Here there`s a Canopus shop that does alot of fine re-wraps. With all that said, I am a dog for green glitter and I bet it would look amazing. If the kit will get a long playing life with you and makes you happy- go green!Coffee Break2

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

I would think WRR, even with minor issues would be more valuable in the long run, more so than any rewrap. Let's face it, there were never than many WRR to beginn with and any complete kit would probably bring more in original condition over a rewrpapped kit. But then again, when we are dead and gone, these old ugly azz wraps we love will be hideous and anything might be better than what we like today. Now, I like this color, but you know what I mean.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

This is a tough one. Do you really love the finish? If you do, then keep it as is. If not, then you may want to consider the option. Personally, if I don't like a finish and it's damaged, I have no issues popping a wrap. This one would give me pause, though. It's in pretty good shape.

I think I would leave the kit as is. I would seek out orphans and put the green kit together just for giggles. I can't justify popping wrap off of a drum that still breathes. It would have to be old nasty wrap for me to pop it. I've had some silver and wmp recently that was old and faded and damaged. I had no issues popping it. Your wrap looks pretty healthy. Just my two cents.

Posted on 14 years ago

My :2Cents: Do what mcjnic suggested. Once you strip the original wrap, it's gone. Those drums look too nice to peel. Let them remain as they were. Someday, somebody will thank you. Like mcjnic said, grab some orphans and make 'em match. But keep the kit as is... IMHO.

fishwaltz
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here