Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ajax Snapper Snare Heads

Hi everybody,

Can anyone help me to obtain a replacement coated head for a c.1960 Ajax 14" x 3" snare?

This great drum is similar to the 4" Pipper range but the heads have a smaller depth. I'm not talking about the thickness of the film but the depth from surface to bottom of the ring.

A standard head is just too deep and the ring touches the lugs before it can be tightened. I don't think this head has been changed in forty years! Still sounds OK but the coating has long gone.

Many thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

From DJAM

Hi everybody,Can anyone help me to obtain a replacement coated head for a c.1960 Ajax 14" x 3" snare?This great drum is similar to the 4" Pipper range but the heads have a smaller depth. I'm not talking about the thickness of the film but the depth from surface to bottom of the ring.A standard head is just too deep and the ring touches the lugs before it can be tightened. I don't think this head has been changed in forty years! Still sounds OK but the coating has long gone.Many thanks

Have you tried those made by Ludwig and Attack?

Recently installed a medium weight Attack resonant head on an '83 Tama 8x14 snare drum and became quite pleased that besides its excellent manufacturing quality and relative low cost the mounting collar is actually shallower than Remo's.

Am planning to swap both Remo Ambassadors off a Legend phosphor bronze snare drum that belongs to my son precisely for that reason--collars bottoming out too close to lugs thus compromising tuning--with either Ludwig or Attack batter and resonant heads soon and see how it all turns out...

-elcid

"For God...King...and Spain!..." Rodrigo Dias de Vivar, El Cid...
Posted on 15 years ago

From DJAM

Hi everybody,Can anyone help me to obtain a replacement coated head for a c.1960 Ajax 14" x 3" snare?This great drum is similar to the 4" Pipper range but the heads have a smaller depth. I'm not talking about the thickness of the film but the depth from surface to bottom of the ring.A standard head is just too deep and the ring touches the lugs before it can be tightened. I don't think this head has been changed in forty years! Still sounds OK but the coating has long gone.Many thanks

(Hi all new here). DJAM, did you ever manage to find heads that fit? I ask as I have an Ajax on its way that has exactly the same dimensions, and is about the same age. From the photos in the eBay ad, the rims are screwed right down so the original heads (Premier Everplay, I am told) will need replacing.

Did your ever try the Attack heads? From what I understand, the Terry Bozzio ones have 'bongo-like' collars, so presumably they're round hoops...which would be shallower in depth? Can't seem to find a UK supplier, though (although Wembley Drum Centre do standard Attack heads).

Any help appreciated.

www.brushbeat.org
Posted on 15 years ago

Hi,

Thanks El Cid for the reply. Seems a fairly common problem without a clear solution. I tried a very old Ludwig head which was marginally shallower but no real improvement. Haven't found Attack yet.

Gerry - good luck! Sorry I can't help. I have seen several Ajax Snapper/Cooperette snares on e-bay in the last few months, some with very dodgy descriptions ie "all it needs is a new head" yeah, right! If anyone out there is looking to buy one, make sure it has some life left in the head that's on it. Mine is an Everplay. It's still a cracking snare, but I know it could be better.

Hopefully someone will post on here the tried and tested solution!

Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

DJAM, I've ordered a coated Attack head, so I can let you know if the hoops are shallower than normal. Having said that, my snare turned out to be 3.75" deep...and I'm not even sure it's an Ajax now (I'll be posting something about it in the main forum shortly).

www.brushbeat.org
Posted on 15 years ago

Got the Attack head through. Good replacement for an Everplay by the look of things (I haven't fitted it yet and shan't until some spares come through) as the coating has the same feel.

The collar is 1/4" in depth, whereas an Evans 10" head I have lying around has a 3/8" collar. So, 1/8" shorter. However, total depth from bottom of collar to top of skin is the same on both heads: about 5/8". Don't have another 14" head handy for comparison. Perhaps the Attack is a snugger fit?

DJAM, if you could find wire rings the right size, lapping some calf-heads might be an idea (or get some done for you). OK, not ideal, but...

www.brushbeat.org
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here