Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Advise Needed Regarding Ludwig "budget Line" Kit

I've got a co-worker looking to purchase a kit for her young son. She's got an opportunity to pick up a Ludwig Kit with the black & silver badges. It's my understanding that this badge was used on the company's "budget line" drums from 1984 through the 1990s.

The kit she's considering has a white lacquer finish and consists of a 22 inch bass drum, 16 inch floor tom, two rack toms (unsure of sizes), a 14 x 5.5 Ludwig chrome snare drum, Ludwig hi-hat stand with 14" New Beat cymbals, a vintage (1960s) 18 inch Zildjian cymbal with double-braced stand, a vintage 19 inch Sabian Medium Thin Crash cymbal with double-braced stand, and a throne.

The drums appear to be extremely sound, both cosmetically and functionally. There are no extra holes in any of the shells.

Since I'm not familiar with Ludwig's so-called "budget line", I can't suggest a price for her to offer for this particular kit.

Anyone out there have any ideas?:Santa:

Posted on 15 years ago

I don't know much about that era. My cut-off point is about 1979. But the New Beats are always nice and maybe the other Zildjian and the Sabian are worth a few bucks. I don't know....maybe $500 for everything? It would have to be in pretty great shape though because white always looks great if it's immaculate, but if it gets scratched up it looks really bad. I may be totally out of bounds with my guess.

I haven't been able to find ANYTHING to buy for the collection lately, and I know the market is a bit strange at the moment

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

O-LUGS: Thanks for the feedback. Always good hearing from you. The gentleman was asking $400 for everything. I've been corresponding with him and he's agreed to sell it all for $350. I'll be informing my co-worker tomorrow to see if she's interested.

BTW............ the white finish is in immaculate condition.

Another kit I found is a Premier Astria. It's in extremely nice condition. It's got double rack toms, a 22 inch bass, 14 inch floor tom and 14 x 5.5 snare drum. The current owner's asking $350 for it. It doesn't include any cymbals, stands or a hi-hat, but sure is a gorgeous looking kit. It also appears to be extremely sound functionally.

Any opinion on how this one compares to the Ludwig "budget kit"?

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here