Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

advise 4 restor'g my gretsch

hi, y'all. this is my first post..just found this site, & love it! i have an old gretsch that was rescued fm. a friend's garage a while back, but it's been treated roughly, & has scratches on yellow paint,+harware chewed up,too(wrench marks?)cool 18"b.d.,&hi&flr.tom-is it best to keep it scratchy & original, or should i have parts replaced & new or touched-up paint? this is a very special kit that was picked out & played by buddy miles(my friend w.the garage..flew him down,paid him to play on his self-produced album(i hav2 check, prob.@ early 80's)-i have one of the albums w. the credits on it..anyway, these drums have a nice,warm kharma abt. them& i want to fix them properly. i may have to sell them in the future, as cancer has left me oweing alot of $$..i dont want to think abt that yet, though.maybe i can sell other stuff instead, & get to keep 'em. any advise?? i know never dull is great for chrome..what else? how do i start? thanks, & hello. Sticky T

Posted on 13 years ago

Wow, that is one of the most desirable sizes Gretsch made/makes. Nice! 18-12-14. If you can keep the original finish, it is always recommended, as the original finish is more valuable, and this is the most desirable sizes, although not the most desirable era. If they were round badge 50s-60s they would be worth huge cash, and since there is other provenance, the recording contract/endorsement, this should add to the value. Please post some pix.

I never use Nev-r-Dull. Most folks don't know the reason it works. There are small strands of metal in it. I use automotive rubbing compound. Messy, but it cleans all the old crud and leaves a protective coating. As far as the chewed up hardware parts, replacing them with good ones is not a no-no.

Good luck, and show us what ya got!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here