Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Advice needed: glue down lifting wrap

Hello,

I would like to secure this wrap that is lifting on each end of a 16x16 floor tom. I have read a number of the older posts and just want to get some advice before I start. I should say that I'm am not a craftsman by any stretch of the imagination and will be lucky if I don't permanently glue my fingers together.

I have purchased a small bottle of DAP contact cement. I couldn't find any water based.

Will I need to seperate the wraps even more to make sure I get enough cement underneath the wrap? Or would one recommend leaving the wrap as it is and using a small brush to apply cement to both sides?

Any advice is appreciated. I will add that this drum has already been re-wrapped so we are not dealing with an original Ludwig wrap.

thanks.

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

I wouldn't seperate it any more, use the brush or you could use the spray can type. Let it dry and use tape to hold it down after you stick them together.

Good Luck

Posted on 15 years ago

I've found that multiple coats of contact cement work much better than one... three is a good number.

Posted on 15 years ago

what does that mean? one coat, let dry, another coat, let dry, repeat, then close wrap?

thanks for the replies.

Posted on 15 years ago

You apply a pretty thin coat of contact cement and let it dry until it's just barely tacky (like me). A cheap paint brush or old toothbrush works to apply it.

That usually takes 15 or 20 minutes, then you repeat that a few times.

Three coats is good, or four sometimes.

After the 3rd coat is just tacky, press it together and work out the lumps.

Contact cement doesn't usually give you second chances - it really grabs, so when you push it together you need to do the best you can to make sure it's aligned, but that wouldn't be a factor in your particular repair.

Good luck!

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks a lot MastroSnare and Lucky. I'm going to give it a go.

Posted on 15 years ago

I'll tell you the way I did a similar job:

Super glue.

Now, some people will say NO! Don't use it! But I did and it worked perfectly. All I did was get a tube of the Super glue gel and then I injected an amount into the seam -spread it around with a thin piece of aluminum. I used blue painter's tape to mask off all the spots where the glue would squeeze back out. When I had enough glue in the void I clamped a length of wood along the seam so that the entire seam would be compressed uniformly and then I waited a few hours -just so that the wrap would have time to conform it's shape back to flat. The next day I removed the clamps and the seam was perfect -like it had never lifted! That was a few years ago and there is still no crystallization or whatever was supposed to go wrong. If it wouldn't have worked so well, then I would never recommend it. But it worked fantastically!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here