Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Advice needed - Chrome in bad shape.

Hi folks - I picked up an old Kent metal shell snare recently. I've tried all of my polishing methods on the shell and it's far better than it was, but in my opinion, will never be as it was when it was new.

There are several spots on the shell where it looks like the rust has gone through the chrome plating, so polishing isn't really doing much at this point. Lucily, the inside of the shell is mint (go figure). Also the rims are in pretty sad shape with lots of rust and flaking chrome. Most of the hardware should clean up okay as it's not plated - Will just take some serious buffing.

So I'm considering painting the shell and rims flat or gloss black and leaving the hardware shiny. Question is, what is a good process for getting a nice, hard scratch resistant paint job? I've heard of some folks who bake parts after painting, to toughen the finish. Does this require a special paint?

I don't feel the drum is valuable enough to have it rechromed or have a professional powder coating job done.

Or should I keep at it with the polishing for another few days... my arms are getting tired :)

Thanks!!!

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 18 years ago

Personally I would probably not spend the time on the drum unless it produces the sound you want/desire. I have had a few Kent's and they were 6 luggers and never had the sound for me so I sold them.

In regards to the painting process the most important part is the preparation and making sure the shell is ready to accept paint so the paint will properly stick.

I guess I'm just rambling on here, but since you are not going for any awards or trying to restore a special finish then just a standard paint job with Krylon metal paint should do the trick. As always following the directions and procedures will ensure the proper bonding and drying between coats.

I know we have a few lurkers on the board with a background in paint and

the best products and procedures.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Hi folks - I picked up an old Kent metal shell snare recently. I've tried all of my polishing methods on the shell and it's far better than it was, but in my opinion, will never be as it was when it was new.There are several spots on the shell where it looks like the rust has gone through the chrome plating, so polishing isn't really doing much at this point. Lucily, the inside of the shell is mint (go figure). Also the rims are in pretty sad shape with lots of rust and flaking chrome. Most of the hardware should clean up okay as it's not plated - Will just take some serious buffing.So I'm considering painting the shell and rims flat or gloss black and leaving the hardware shiny. Question is, what is a good process for getting a nice, hard scratch resistant paint job? I've heard of some folks who bake parts after painting, to toughen the finish. Does this require a special paint?I don't feel the drum is valuable enough to have it rechromed or have a professional powder coating job done.Or should I keep at it with the polishing for another few days... my arms are getting tired :)Thanks!!!

Personally, I would not paint the drum. Just clean it as best you can and leave it at that. You never know....in the future A Kent collector will be looking for exactly that drum you have.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for the replies folks.

As it turns out, I cleaned up the drum as best I could - I spent 3 days, couple hours each day, and got a reasonable amount of shine on the drum. It's not perfect, but I kind of like the "character" of the drum.

As for sound, well... I have 3 Kent snares now. 2 wood and one steel and I do like the sound. Each has it's own unique tone and even the 2 wood drums sound very different from each other. I like choices when drumming/recording so these provide some different qualities over more modern snares.

I used one of the wood snares on a gig Friday night. Kent's are not as loud as other thicker drums so I had to lay into it a bit more than I would a modern snare. But wow, did it sound nice. Very warm and very fat - Perfect for the blues band I was working with. The drum performed flawlessly the entire night and I gave it a pretty good pounding.

Thanks again.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here