Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Advice for novice on cleaning radio king snare

For the first time I'm going to go calfskin batter side only, on my 40s radio king snare, 5 1/2 Krupa model streamline lugs and 3 point strainer, it will be from a new small 'small' company here in the UK.( he's being doing them less than a year) called Majetone industries, has anyone bought any? I can't get it till January, so when I do I'm thinking I might like to have a go stripping the drum and cleaning the metal parts not touching the inside shell I think it's got a coat of beeswax anyway. I need good advice on how to correctly do this. Is there any risk something might break it looks all original and nearly maybe 70 years old. All parts are the nickel plated type, and I must stress I'm not looking to make this drum all bright and shiney new it's mainly for good maintainance and to keep it functioning well which it still does, and I hear nickel can be tricky. Last time I put a new head on I noticed a couple of the lugs seemed to be binding a bit when tightening once 'past a certain bit' it was ok- normal. Someone told me that he cleanes the lug casings on his royal ace snare with those small cotton buds that you put in your ears he thought on my royal ace ( which I want to sell) that the lugs -might turn a bit more to aid in a tighter tuning ( his sounded better) is there any truth in This? By the way these cotton bud thingies are a bit too big to fit well inside the casing. Will get pics soon.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago

Here are some pics of the drum in question.[Attachment: 93077]. The strainer is the dirtiest part.

1 attachments
I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago

Another pic, a general view.[Attachment: 93078]. Also on another thread on here (also slingerland) the person is using a heating tray device what are these? Are they expensive, usable? I did actually clean the tension rods with 000 steel wool and a metal polish after soaking overnight in washing up liquid and some some coca cola when I got the drum year and a half ago they were quite rusty, I also did the strainer arm bit that was more rusty also. Should I do it or leave as is?

1 attachments
I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago

I don't think the lugs are too bad at all realy and I do not mind an aged look, but I would like to ' take some good care of the inside of the lugs.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago

Typically drums have some form of lubricant inside the lugs to ensure smooth operation. Every few months I personally spray a little WD40 ( or the like ) on my tension rods right as I am placing them back in. You'll instantly see the difference. I even do the same with the crews that hold the lugs in place.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Chears, I have been lubricating them ( ocasionaly) with 3 in 1 oil, would you clean them with wd40 then put 3 in 1 on. Also I've seen drum tension rods that seem to have been dipped on the very end part with what looks like Vaseline or petrol in jelly? I did that with this, should I?

I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago

Petrol Jelly works as well too, that's typically what I've seen on my tension rods. You can clean with WD40 or 3 in 1 will remove basic surface rust / grime. Certainly won't make it look " new ", but it'll be cleaner. My Radioking has the same lugs, but I have the clamshell strainer. I used WD40 to clean mine. But I like how it still has that " old " look. The strainer looks a bit cleaner than the lugs, but I tried to leave it with the older look. I personally don't like my drums " super shiny ", I'd become OCD with trying to keep them that way.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Your drum looks super nice.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks! It certainly did not look this good when it was given to me. The snare wires were beyond life ( had the original wires ), someone had painted the wrap that was on the drum ( even with paint remover, the wrap was wrecked ) and it was missing the handle to engage the snare wires. Gave it a nice green lacquer finish, got a new handle and a new set of snares. Sounds fantastic.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

I think I read your thread on this, mine had original extended snares as well, twisted up, 've stored them away. I just wish I didn't have to take the lugs off to clean inside them I think that's the best way to do it though, I think I should put the same lugs back where they originally where in the right order, would have to label them. They might have left a bit of an imprint with being on so long.

I love the jazz era
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here