Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Advanced Finishing Questions

Does anyone have a router table setup to put the final trim on a wrap? If so could you please share your design and a few pics.

Thanks,

Mike

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

Hmmm.....I've always just used a sharp pair of Fiskars scissors to trim the excess wrap off. Never had any issues with that method.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I don't quite get the question, GD. Rout the edge of the wrap once it's on the drum, is that what you mean ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Jaye - Yepper that's exactly it. You put the wrap on and do an initial trim to the bearing edge, then with a router blade put a...lets say..a 2mm exposure as a final trim. In my minds eye I see a rounter mounted under a bench with the blade coming through, then with some sort of jig you rotate the drum against the router blade so you have an absolutely perfect edge all the way around.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]It's an interesting concept...hmmm..I wonder if it'd work ? Kinda cool because it would give the wrap the sorta edge condition which you see on vintage wrapped shells...sorta feathered and worn w/ time and all....

Just some fear it'd lift or shred the wrap, maybe....(?) Dunno....

One cool piece o' equipmnt I really wanna buy myself is the wrap cutter sold by drumfoundry.com...cuts the wrap after it is applied on the shell...thing slides around the circumference of the shell, held on by rollers. (But it doesn't bevel the wrap edge).

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Jaye - Check this out...go to 3:00 in the vid.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-5674EZ8yk&feature=related[/ame]

Cya,

Mike

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Well, there ya go. I wouldn't trim the edge and punch the holes like he does, but as far as the routing, there you have it.

Thanks....or should I say, danke ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Something like this?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here