Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

adhesive for bass drum hoop strip o finish suggestions?

I need to glue the strip of finish to my bass drum hoops, one Gretsch, one Slingerland. Any suggestions for adhesive? I didn't want to use Liquid Nails: that seems excessive. But I didn't think a spray adhesive would be strong enough.

Hit me with your genius VDF!

Thanks!

Posted on 15 years ago

You could:

1. buy a roll of the red hi-bond tape and cut to fit.

2. use a gel form of superglue

3. staple staple staple

4. rubber cement is an intriguing possibility for this job

5. use the drippings from fresh squeeze orange juice - dude, that stuff is seriously sticky!

Good luck and have fun.

Posted on 15 years ago

Other post have advised that just a little hot glue where the ends meet is sufficient, with the removed staples re-installed. Or, a small-headed brass tack might look more purrdeeurr.

There are some threads about this ... you could run a search for 'bass drum hoop inlay" and see what you find also

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks all, I'll look into all those suggestions

Posted on 15 years ago

3M contact cement. You apply a very light amount to the groove in the hoop and to the underside of the strip and wait for it to get tacky. You carefully align things and starting at one end, you lay the strip in and press it as you go until you get to the other end. Be warned, though....There's no second chances with contact cement. If you get out of alignment, the whole thing is trashed because the glue won't let you manipulate the orientation once it makes contact. And once it makes contact, it's not going to move!

I've never tried the hi-bond tape method, but for hoop strips, it might be perfect. I wouldn't use it for wrapping a drum, though, because it leaves air gaps....but I digress:p

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here