Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Additional Snare Insight? - Kent & LP

I have two snares that I was hoping to learn a bit more about:

1 - Ascend by LP Soprano Snare 8 lug - can't find any history about this drum anywhere. Can anyone provide insight/value?

2 - Kent Red Sparkle Snare 8 lug with an all gold badge. Does this badge mean something in particular?

2 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

The all Gold Kent badge just means the drum is a little older then the Blue Kent badge...

You should show the interior of the Kent drum so we can see the shell.

The LP snare looks like an affects snare. Maybe next to a percussion player or an add on snare for a set. What size is that drum?

I have some LP literature that I can look through...

David

Posted on 16 years ago

The LP is 6.5 x 12".

Here's a photo of the Kent shell.

Appreciate any info or value estimates. Thanks!

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

That's an early 60s or late 50s Kent snare.

Should be 2 ply maple with roundover/flat bearing edges.

Nice snare, is it for sale?

Harrison
Posted on 16 years ago

I've got a full "Revere" 4-piece kit with the same shells, nickle plated lugs, lug screws and a Blue Diamond wrap. Not a faded BDP. More of a unfaded Sky Blue Pearl. I'm assuming these are gretsch shells. I have them all apart and packed as of now. If anybody is interested I can shoot some pics. Just PM me...

Posted on 16 years ago

Nope, they are not Gretsch shells, but one of the Kent brothers was a Gretsch

employee at some point. So it's likely that Kent drums were influenced by

the Gretsch design. Thin shells with no reinforcement rings.

Kent made drums tagged with the Revere and Paramount names. Possibly others. Same shells, with modified lugs and different snare throws.

RE: The snare/Badge in question... it's likely that someone peeled or polished off the top layer of the badge. Kent badges were a paper/foil type deal (early drums were white over gold, later drums were blue over gold). If it were possible to remove the white or blue on the badge, you'd likely be left with what we see here - A gold badge. From the picture, it's easy to see that the badge (like most Kent badges) has been bent/beat up a bit.

I collect Kent drums and I've not yet seen an all gold badge, nor have I heard mention of one. This isn't to say that they don't exist, but it's easy to imagine the scenario above... least it is for me :)

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Hey Big D!

Let's see an image of the white/gold badge... I do not have one on the Kent Badge page, because it is hard to find.. I have only seen the all Gold Badge on three or four different drums, so maybe the white was a problem?...

I guess they were cutting costs, but the badges have to be the worst place to cut costs. Maybe cut back on the cigs and heat instead!

I can only imagine what the shop was like...

I sure can use some badge photos...

Thanks

David

Posted on 16 years ago

LOL!!! Yeah, I have to agree with you there - Will send you a white/gold badge shortly. Like I said... it's not impossible, but I haven't seen one yet. Could be that the all gold badges were the first ones. Maybe they added the white and blue later.

If I had an extra badge, I'd try removing the upper layer (blue or white), but I don't. The problem with all the Kent badges were that they were so flimsy, they often got torn off the drum completely.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the inputs. Looking closer, it does seem that perhaps someone rubbed the blue ink off the gold badge, though they did a good, clean job of it. The badge is actually in good condition with just a few scratches. Both of these drums are for sale on ebay:

160193527422 (LP)

160193616433 (Kent)

I am also selling an original Dynasonic snare frame, if anyone is interested:

I am new to this forum, so I hope it's ok to refereence ebay. If not, please let me know.

Posted on 16 years ago

I see this did pretty good on Ebay...

Thanks again big D!

I was able to find a different white badge in a little better shape..

Regardless that got me on the hunt!

So after I looked at this badge I compared the four I have...

Here they are...

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/badges/kent/kent_white_th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/badges/kent/kent_badge_white_th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/badges/kent/kent_gold_badge_thumb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/badges/kent/kent2.jpg[/IMG]

So the badge in question based on the text for each badge is either a transition from white to blue and or a blue badge with all of the blue taken off as you stated.....

I have Kent on my Ebay favorite searches to see what else pops up..

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here