Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Acro Resto

I realize it's only an acro, and I know it's not a restoration, more like just a deep cleaning, but DAMN what a great way to spend the day! I picked up this '69 on ebay and took it all apart and gave it a good going over. After all the suds bath, buffing, cleaning, waxing, and TLC, I promptly took it upstairs, put it behind my kit, and beat that sumbo into next week! What a GREAT CRACK! Why has it taken me so long to add one to my arsenal?

Can't resist jumping on the band-wagon and repeating that this is one of the most underrated drums ever made. The early craftsmanship was evident. Check it out.

I am toying with the idea of changing to the baseball bat muffler (just cause I think it's cool) and adding a p86 throw (just cause the 85's are kinda clunky)

What are your thoughts? Keep it pristine or trick it? This will definitely be a player not something sitting around just to say I have one. It's going to compliment my Gretsch new classic wood hooper.

Still buzzing that I have such a drum!

Posted on 11 years ago

I can't speak tothe baseball bat muffler idea but I absolutely think a P86 is the way to go. I have replaced every P83 and P85 throw-off I have with a P86 a d I could not be happier. It is a far better strainer and the hole pattern is the same. I found that I had to widen the holes for the P86 hardware just a touch. The engraving on the P86 is a bit superfluous when used on an Acrolite in my opinion, but I sure like having strainers that do not require the unglamorous "pull up on the tension knob with one hand while engaging the snares with the other" technique.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 11 years ago

great drum and nice work on that one. ive got quite a few of them and love 'em. i wouldn't mess with the muffler conversion if it were mine though. the top hole would probably have to be modified for the baseball bat muffler. you wouldn't want to do that to the drum. i too love p86 strainers, but for that drum, i'd keep what i had. play it and enjoy it. all kind of sounds can be coaxed out of that drum very easily!

mike

Posted on 11 years ago

Glad you like it! I recently got a nasty looking one cheap and resurrected it myself... As you found, a great drum!

I expect to have mine behind my old Yamaha kit once it is up and running (which should be very soon!)

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 11 years ago

Post a pic so we can see it.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

From jccabinets

Post a pic so we can see it.

JC, click on the link, you will not be disappointed.

Very nicely done. I may just have to get one of these snares.

B

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 11 years ago

Sorry, just being a smart @@s. Trying to get the point across that these links will go away someday and the thread will be useless. It is not a big deal to post the pics directly to this forum.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

I just picked up a second Acrolite. 70's pointy badge. I got them both for $30 each with a case and a stand with one of them, and both are in really nice condition. That aluminum color matches my silver Rodgers kit and I have been useing the last one I got a few weeks ago on the last few gigs. What a nice crack and sound. I love mine. Talk about bang for the buck!!! at last Fri. nights gig I was looking down from the drum riser and saw the Bass player look over at the guitar player and say,"That snare sounds great in the monitors".

Posted on 11 years ago

From jccabinets

Sorry, just being a smart @@s. Trying to get the point across that these links will go away someday and the thread will be useless. It is not a big deal to post the pics directly to this forum.Jeff C

You ARE smart. I didn't even think of the link's shelf-life.

B

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here