Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Abused Mystery MIJ Snare

Hello Folks!,

This guy was been abused big time! Among other things, it is missing the butt plate and the strainer throw off lever has been snapped off.

It was probably left in the backyard on top of a woodpile for 25 years. It was full of spiderwebs and other fun things under the lugs...even earwigs !!

I figured the MIJ crowd might know what this might be from the lugs and the strainer. Any ideas (and parts) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

4 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

I dont think its a MIJ,more like Sonor or Tromsa,along those lines.

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 13 years ago

There have been inquiries regarding this type of bootleg "clockface"strainer.Someone was going in a Rogers direction with this one,even the "tall boy"rims and the tone control say Rogers.I can't say who made this one.It is certainly not typical MIJ,at least hardware wise.But,drums resembling this have been on here before.

On second look,the lugs are IDENTICAL to an ultra-cheap 90's MIC drum I sent to a gentleman in Canada.I mean IDENTICAL.But this drum is much older than that-HMMMMMM.....

Posted on 13 years ago

Based on a few characteristics, and process of elimination, my somewhat educated guess is that this is an early Pearl made drum. I've seen those larger washers and smaller flat head screws on a script badge Pearl snare. That muffler looks original, from what I can tell in the pics, and my Pearl stencil snare has the same one.

This drum doesn't seem like it has any Star qualities that I can see.

The strainer is pretty awesome. Once you get this thing up and running, you'll have to give us a report on how that strainer works.

As for a year, I'd say it's pre-1966. At this time, it's basically impossible to get any more specific than that.

Posted on 13 years ago

Your snare could be a number of name's-{40+ names} all made under the Pearl name..By the copy of the Roger's strainer and muffler this would date your drum from 1960 to 67 or so...You have to like the strainer it's one of the best M.I.J. strainer made..It's a cast metal strainer....Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

It is indeed an MIJ snare. The part you need most of all is a new shell...that one is kinda damaged. Not saying you couldn't make it playable, but you will need some serious tutoring if you've never done this before. I am available if you have questions and maybe even an answer or three....

Those lugs are from Kaman, the CB-700 parent. Likely it was from their early days. Good looking wrap, if you can get it cleaned back to almost recognizable. I love that type of WMP, it just looks cool.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

It's too bad that anything Pearl related basically "falls into the void"before 1966 or so.Does our good friend Mikey,or anyone for that matter, have a picture or advertisement of any kind related to Mindy,Tempest or Custom-or are they the same as '66 Pearl?Is this drum a "non-import"Pearl,not meant for export at all?The shell construction is typical primitive luan with rerings.Does anyone else remember the faux-Rogers set that was posted here?Not chubby Island Music-I mean 60's-and it was CERTAINLY a copyright infringement....

Posted on 13 years ago

Thanks to all you guys!!! I knew I would get the inquisitive juices flowing on this one. It is an odd fellow. I did clean off an old "Visit British Colombia" sticker on it before I took the pics. That might be a point of interest. It also looks like it never had a badge, just an eyelet on the vent hole. Curious! I will post pictures when it is cleaned up.

Hey Mikey777, would you have the butt plate and/or throw off lever for the strainer????Yes Sir

Thanks again guys and have a happy 4th of JulyParty

Posted on 13 years ago

From teverson-sr

It's too bad that anything Pearl related basically "falls into the void"before 1966 or so.Does our good friend Mikey,or anyone for that matter, have a picture or advertisement of any kind related to Mindy,Tempest or Custom-or are they the same as '66 Pearl?Is this drum a "non-import"Pearl,not meant for export at all?The shell construction is typical primitive luan with rerings.Does anyone else remember the faux-Rogers set that was posted here?Not chubby Island Music-I mean 60's-and it was CERTAINLY a copyright infringement....

Teverson-sr.I don't have any catalogs for these drums Mindy,Temest or A.C. i never got any from Mr.Cooper..I have seen a few sets with this type of lugs on it Fishwaltz had a bass drum on this forum for sale some time ago..I still have some of these lugs in all the parts i have..Also ti me the muffler on the snare looks like Rogers to me it's made to good the ones i have seen are made weak don't look as good as this one..Wish he would post a photo of the knob on the muffler....Sometime ago i got a Star snare off Ebay it had the same three holes like Rogers used and someone replaced the muffler with a real Rogers muffler...Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago

From TwistyMcFisty

Thanks to all you guys!!! I knew I would get the inquisitive juices flowing on this one. It is an odd fellow. I did clean off an old "Visit British Colombia" sticker on it before I took the pics. That might be a point of interest. It also looks like it never had a badge, just an eyelet on the vent hole. Curious! I will post pictures when it is cleaned up.Hey Mikey777, would you have the butt plate and/or throw off lever for the strainer????Yes Sir Thanks again guys and have a happy 4th of JulyParty

TwistyMcFisty...Yes i have the strainer part that you need also the butt plate what is the hole spaceing on the butt?.As far as a badge your snare nevered had a badge made of metal or brass it would have been one made out of a sticker that would be at the air--hole grommet pr on the shell itself across for the grommet hole on the other side of the drum..Mikey

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here