Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Abused Ludwig Chrome Over Wood Kit

I ran across a 3-ply COW Ludwig kit the other day with the company's blue and olive badges. The wrap was in horrific condition. However, the shells appeared to be in excellent shape. I was wondering if any of you have ever removed a chrome wrap from a Ludwig kit and, if so, what problems, if any, you encountered?

THANKS in advance for your time and your help.

Posted on 11 years ago

I've done this before...

Usually the outter ply isn't as smooth as you would like..

Be prepared..

You'l most likely after removing the chrome / want to rewrap..

Bop iT / Til U Drop iT.

ROGER's
1964 Cleveland,.18/14/12 in WMP
1966 Cleveland, 20/14/12 O'natural.
Fullerton,...20/16/13/12 Silver Glass

WFL
1957 B/R Super Classics In WMP

Snares..
Wood & COB Powertones,
Wood & COB Dynasonics,
57 Jazz Festival

Zildjian avedis cymbals.
40s/60s era.
Posted on 11 years ago

Pics of horrific condition?

You would be surprised how well they polish up.......as long as you don't damage the chrome further.

Posted on 11 years ago

I re-wrapped some Fibes drums last summer. I used stainless steel, polished to a mirror finish. It actually was not very expensive, cheaper than regular wrap. I purchased two pieces, one for a snare drum and one for a 16x16 floor tom and I think it cost around 100.00 shipping included. I then had the metal rolled into a cylinder shape. I took the flat pieces to local HVAC shop and they did it for 20.00. I don't recall the gauge that I used but if I were to do it again, I would look for something a little lighter. The drums are heavy, but that's what Fibes drums are, heavy. It was not difficult to do but of course using regular wrap would be much easier. I did write a thread on the Fibes project, I can find it for you if you are interested. What ever you do, please keep us posted!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

This wrap does not age well. I have several pieces, & I've seen a lot that pit & rust badly to make a rough textured surface. However, it is very tough to remove. My bass & others I have seen have a riveted seam, & this creates a big problem. (You didn't mention if your drums are riveted).

On the other hand, I've developed more tolerance of less than attractive drums & accept them as they are. I just clean them up, & live w/ the flaws. This design is not a shining example of Ludwig at their best. They are also very heavy .

You might consider just saving your time & money & clean them up as best you can. Rewrapping is not going to improve the sound, nor add much value, ( it will be a heck of a project). Another thing to consider, if you're a performer, is that no one will care or notice beyond a distance of 10 feet.

Posted on 11 years ago

I've got a before and after pic of the two bass drums on the monster set I just sold.......and regret selling.

If it's corrosion and pitting, you can do wonders with the correct polish.

If somebody used steel wool on them before you got them or anything that went all the way through the chrome, you might actually want to re-wrap but read the threads here as I've seen some rivited wraps that are stuck unbelievably well to the shell and you end up with a 5 ply shell afterward.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?p=254326#post254326

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here