Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

? about vintage ludwig kit

Hello,

After being away from playing for 20 years I am now starting to enjoy drumming again.

I used to play an older Rogers kit, it was very lively and had lots of tone. Well, I sold them and the guy I am playing with had an older Ludwig kit. I am guessing from the 60's.

It certainly did not recieve any TLC in it time. My question is the whole set and esp. the toms have a really flat sound, powerful thud but no sweetness.

I have worked with different heads and tunings - I suspect there is something wrong, but also wonder is this just the way they sounded?

I have never played Ludwig before so I have no reference.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted on 17 years ago

hey there,

i play on a 1965 Ludwig and it sounds great. lots of tone and attack. the shells could be slightly warped or even the rims could be bent a little, preventing you from accurately tuning. Through the years playing on this, ive found that single-ply heads sound the best on it. i use Evans Genera Coated heads on the tops and single-ply clear resonant on the bottoms and Evans EMAD on the bass (which i get compliments on the sound all the time). they sound really good. i used to use the Evans rings for dampening but it was too much, now i use Moongels. those things rock. Hope this helps.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here