Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Aaaaargh ! Unwrapping a Gretsch round-badge.....!!!!

[COLOR="DarkRed"]OK, so this is about drum project #70 for me.....unwrapping should be no problem whatsoever anymore.

Holy crap Help2....this thing is impossible ! Has anyone ever unwrapped a round-badge Gretsch shell in their original sparkle before ?

It seems to have some sort of mesh backing on the wrap (see pics - it's the sorta whitish stuff right on top of the wood). Tried my usual heat-gun method, which is foolproof...not anymore. While it certainly effects the plastic portion of the wrap and backing....that mesh stuff is holding to the shell for dear life.

The stuff won't budge.

Adding insult to injury, it catches on fire very quickly, too. electricit

CryBaby

Help.....[COLOR="Silver"]......someone.....[/COLOR][/COLOR]

1 attachments
www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]OK, so this is about drum project #70 for me.....unwrapping should be no problem whatsoever anymore.Holy crap Help2....this thing is impossible ! Has anyone ever unwrapped a round-badge Gretsch shell in their original sparkle before ?It seems to have some sort of mesh backing on the wrap (see pics - it's the sorta whitish stuff right on top of the wood). Tried my usual heat-gun method, which is foolproof...not anymore. While it certainly effects the plastic portion of the wrap and backing....that mesh stuff is holding to the shell for dear life.The stuff won't budge. Adding insult to injury, it catches on fire very quickly, too. electricitCryBabyHelp.....[COLOR="Silver"]......someone.....[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Hey Jaye, gretsch put linen cloth behind their wraps, John sheridan had spoke of this before, I am looking for the article right now!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

PartyTry a stripper...without the pole, please...:p

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Chem stripper - slathered on the wrap ? is that what you mean ? Paint stripper ? Acetone ? [/COLOR] Hurting

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Hey Jaye,i have rewrapped those Gretsch shells in the pass[20+ sets]..That mesh crap is very hard to work with as you know...The best way that has work for me is to let the wrap catch fire--the fire moves so fast and will not hurt the shell,put the shell on the ground on the side of shell let it catch fire and turn the shell with a long piece of pipe...I have also used this on 1960s ludwig drums in plastic wrap like B.D.P.--W.M.P. ete...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Chem stripper - slathered on the wrap ? is that what you mean ? Paint stripper ? Acetone ? [/COLOR] Hurting

Hey Jaye, brother never used the fire method?? but if you go the chemical stripper method, I've enclosed a pic of the stuff you need's ,i got it at Lowe's, and do it outside or with good ventilation and it need to be 70 degrees air temp to work properly coat the wrap in sections of course let it sit and it will mowe right through it!, and it will take awhile to do it, hey if you do the fire you gotta take pics???

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

If you do the fire method, you have to take VIDEO.

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes Yes do a Video!!!!!

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 14 years ago

From ConvertedLudwigPLayer

If you do the fire method, you have to take VIDEO.

Hey Guys,Next time i do i will do a video,now i don't know when it will be...mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Sorry dudes, did the burn method and didn't take a vid.

Matter of fact, the burn method removed the plastic wrap...

and left the gauze fabric on the shell !!!

Mister T

[COLOR="Orange"]Aaaah pity the foo who put fabric unda' that wrap....[/COLOR]

But don't despair...I might record it again, as I might torch the Floor Tom next, and that'll make a much bigger fire than just the puny ol' 12" did ! I'll catch it next time.

Am currently gonna try some solvent to get the fabric off the shell.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here