Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

A strange snare. Can you identify it?

I found this snare in a basement. Very strange looking (to me, at least). It looks old and is a bit rusty. I wonder what make and age it is. It has only a sticker which reads 'Roling's' Hmmmm Mark the parallel strainer which reminds me of Pearl Jupiters.

Posted on 15 years ago

Odd - they nut boxes and seam look like a Ludwig copy, but the throw is very strange – together with the paralell mechanism, it reminds me of an old Tama imperial star. Could be a an old Japanese copy?

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 15 years ago

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"]At first glance, the lugs resemble Ludwig Supraphonic snare drum lugs, and the beaded shell also appears to be a Supraphonic shell or one similar to it. However, the drum has only 8 lugs; not 10 as does a Ludwig Supraphonic!

As for the parallel mechanism, it resembles the earlier Tama style, as well as the R.O.C. Nu-Sound Model!

I'm curious to know whether the lugs are tab-loaded, or spring loaded, as well as the thread gauge on the tension rods.

At present, I plead ignorant! Another day; another mystery![/SIZE][/FONT]

Posted on 15 years ago

Odd but in a good way.Im thinking from Europe somewhere in the 60,s.I,ve seen some hard to identify drums over the years and often thats where they hail from...looks great!

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 15 years ago

I'll try to give it a ride one of these days and see what it can 'tell' although the heads look a littel bit worn out. It's not mine but I'll try to talk to the owner and see what he can tell me about it.

Posted on 15 years ago

Here it is: sad to say I'm afraind it's not that vintage after all. Roling's seems to be an Italian instrument maker, or at least that's where they have plenty of these. I believe they make drums, guitars and wind instruments. Anyway, I played this snare and was truely amazed by its sound and playability, I assume this is one of their higher range drums jundging from the sound and strainer mechanism. Here are some pics of Roling's drums for those of you who are interested http://www.subito.it/batteria-roling-s-salerno-6653287.htm and http://www.subito.it/batteria-roling-s-aquistata-2-sett-fa-vend-o-scam-napoli-6596332.htm

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here