I recently bought (ebay) two Gretsch internal drum mutes that "fit" the drums, but they're so stiff they don't function. They look new right down to the vacuum packaging that each one was in when I received them. They are much flimsier built than the 50's ones that were on my drums (I only rescued two of the five). The seller just told me the ones I bought from her on eBay are 60's mutes. She has no problem with me returning them for a full refund.

So - please take a look - all you Gretsch people - at the comparison in my attached photos and tell me which ones are really better - the 50's mutes if I can find them OR should I keep the 60's ones and fix them? I would have to loosen the threaded dial receptor thingie so it actually will allow the felts to drop away from the head when I turn the dial down AND loosen the the rivet on the arm that holds the felt cross-piece. If I can do that without ruining these lite-weight 60's mutes.

I'm thinking I should just look around for some 50's mutes, but I don't have experience with the two models to make an informed decision.

THE MUTE & PARTS ON THE LEFT ARE WHAT CAME WITH MY 50'S GRETSCH - THE ONE ON THE RIGHT I BOUGHT ON EBAY

Thoughts?