Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

A pleasant surprise when doing a little repair work

Usually "surprises" when doing repair/cleaning/maintenance on drums is usually more of an "Oh Crap" feeling. This one was actually a "Wow, that was cool" feeling:

I acquired some (non vintage) drums that were in great shape, except the wrap was held on by double sided tape at only two points- where the wrap "starts" on the bare wood, and where it overlaps itself at "the end". As a result, the seam where it overlaps itself was very loose and was almost coming all the way off, on all the drums. The wrap is in very good shape and it is pretty unique (a "generic" take on 60's Black Oyster Pearl), so I wanted to save it and not scrap it.

In order to fix the seam, I removed the lug on each side of the drum where the seam was (even the lug being on the seam didn't really help), and left all other lugs/brackets etc. in place. On each drum, the wrap was good where it "Started" on the bare wood, so I used glue (3M Fast Bond) where the seam was, plus a little "before" the seam, on the bare wood and the underside of the wrap, decently close down as I could get before I ran into the closest adjacent lug that was still attached (and thus holding the wrap in place). My seam repair worked great, but after it was dry I noticed when cleaning up just a tiny bit of excess glue, that there was a "poofy" or "airy" spot near each adjacent lug from where I did the repair, like a little air pocket, that was "squishy". I figured it wouldn't have any effect on the head fitting tight, and as long as I wasn't getting a rattle or buzzing from it when playing, I wasn't going to worry too much about it (not exactly the worlds greatest drums).

However, much to my pleasant surprise, when I took off the rest of the lugs, brackets etc. to clean them and polish the shell with Novus #1, I noticed (while polishing by hand) that after I removed all the lugs, the "poofy" pockets of air had disappeared, and the wrap was very tight on the shell all over. I reassembled the drum and the wrap is still nice and tight everywhere!

I just wanted to share this story, because it's really nice to have an "oops" or unintended consequence actually turn out to be just fine and better than you would have hoped!

V

P.S.-How many of you thought I found money under a lug or an autographed Mickey Mantle baseball card inside the rack tom?

Posted on 7 years ago

I thought it was something like you found a Craviotto label inside the drum, or something like that. April Fool day isn't for months yet! Chewie:

How about some photos of the drums?

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

LOL... I once found a chunk of hash inside the bass drum blanket just days after buying the kit used.... I've found roaches and rolling papers in drums before, but this was the first and only time I found the actual "goods".

http://compactdrums.com/

http://walopus.com/
Posted on 7 years ago

A refreshing pleasant suprise!

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago

From CompactDrums

LOL... I once found a chunk of hash inside the bass drum blanket just days after buying the kit used.... I've found roaches and rolling papers in drums before, but this was the first and only time I found the actual "goods".

So how was the hash? :p

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

So how was the hash? :pJohn

Growing up in the 1970s my older brother would hide his stash in the bass drum as well. He was a guitar player and all of a sudden he's "storing drums" for his friends. Or so he told my parents.. Lol.

The greatest gift you can give your family and the world is a healthy you. - Joyce Meyer
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here