Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

A new video tutorial of an impossible repair

I piked this one up from Goodwill. It is a nice match for my "new" WMP no name. It came in a Ludwig UFO case and I knew it would be a quick clean up and ready to play. That is until I took of the head. It was then I discovered the painfully broken shell. I contacted them and was graceful and asked them if we could work out an adjustment. I really want the drum, but had I known it was broken, I would have never looked twice. They have been very gradious, and accomodating.

I asked for them to discuss what to do and made an annoucment to them of what I would expect to pay, and without so much as a hitch, they agreed. I wrote back to them that I would wait until I could effect the repair and asses the damege before making the final call. All I asked of them was to be treated fairly, and they have done an outstanding job. In return, I have made some suggestions to them that may make them a better, more informed seller. And they have graciously accepted that information, and assured me they would leave their system intact, and use some of my suggestions in order to make for happier customers. This particular store is in Central Iowa, and I have been very impressed with them, they have responded in a very proffessional manner. I will not request as much of an adjustment as I first had thought, since I was able to make a much better repair than I first thought I would be able to.

Kudos to Central Iowa Goodwill auctions!

Wendy and Cheryl, thank you for being fair and open, and I assure you, this will go along way to helping your image among this forum and the people here.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoKE-jfNitg[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsteHP0634s[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSsvAJtmz14[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axj7jZWD95s[/ame]

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Just awesome, John. I'm really impressed and glad that you took the time and effort to save the drum and also that you made the videos to post as well. I know that you have lots of experience with this stuff, but you make it look not so scary for others like myself who would like to give these repairs a try. I mean, when you think about it, it's just mixing up the epoxy, applying it, and clamping, but you've got a lot of know-how and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

Please, when you get the drum put back together, make a vid of you smacking it a few times. Then, as I'm sure you will, show the whole set together. It's been an impressive restoration and I cant wait to hear the results.

Posted on 14 years ago

John, hats off to you for taking the time to make this video. Heck, I can't even seem to slow down enough to take progress pics most of the time.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

Nice job John. I wouldnt hesitate to do something like your repair there.

If I may make a few suggestions. When I do a clamp repair such as yours.

1st if its wood being glued to wood, I would use tite bond glue. After I apply the glue I get a 1/4" thick piece of wood on both sides of the break under the clamp. I would also put something between the piece of wood and the shell to keep from marking either side of the shell. I cover the protective piece with clear packaging to keep the glue from sticking to it. Then I would tape the protective pieces and wood pieces in place before I start clamping. One good clamp will do it if the wood pieces are thick enough, and cover the whole area being repaired. Just my 2 cents.

:2Cents:

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the kind words and comments.

Yeah, Titebond I, II & III are great glues, and I use them regularly. However, this particular repair was beyond the scope of typical wood glues. I didn't have any blocks close at hand and was not as prepared as I look. I used the epoxy as much for strenth and volume as to merely hold the wood together because there wasn't much to glue to itself. This particular epoxy gives a great volume, kind of like it expands, but not really. It's hard to explain this, but using epoxy is the way to go on many repairs. For you that want to argue about the sonics, we are not talking about large quantites, so, see below...

You have to realize, the shell was very much compromised, and I use epoxies because they are impervious to moisture, and the volume is much reduced. When you use epoxy to repair shells, and I am talking about the use where it is used to repair old areas of a drum that have hide glues or other types of organics, like horse hoof, you really don't get as good of a bond trying to go with the "original", like a Titebond.

My mother used to restore old furniture. She would use the organics only when she had the opportunty to clean all of the old residue away. You cannot get a good grip and bond when you are gluing crystalized glue to itself. Sure, It will hold for awhile, but it will work loose again. I want the repair to last. And I use very small amounts, so the arguement about changing the balance of the sound, come on, we are old, our ears cannot hear the difference, and we all know it, we just blow ourselves up and show off but I'm telling you, if your ears are that good at 40, 45, 50....come on...you kiddin', Willis.....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

I use epoxy all the time. I uses tite bond when glueing wood to wood. Thats my preference, not because of the sconics of the drum, but from experience on glueing wood together. I restore furniture every day. I am 3rd generation in the upholstery business. I love experimenting with adhesive. I have experimented extensively with fiber glass over the years. I have stuff I bet you never heard of. I admire you. I just posted a pic on the gallery page, there is something in that pic that you will recognize. let me know what you think it is.

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 14 years ago