Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

A Laundry List of Resto Questions

Hey y'all, got a few questions before I go and mess up a drum.

I'm restoring a 26'' Ludwig bass drum from '69 and...

1) What's the best way to glue/stick down a B/O badge that is coming up at the edges.

2) What's the best way to glue down a large chunk of where the actual wrap is peeling up? Contact cement? I'm looking for something relatively affordable.

3) What's the best way to fit in damage to a wood hoop?

4) Best way to re-attach hoop inlay? I know they were stapled on, that's my plan, but is there any type of staple I should be using?

Thanks in advance for any help. And sorry for all the questions! I'll probably have more tomorrow.

5) That popped into my mind but isn't related to a bass drum. I've got a P-83 strainer that's not stuck per say, but has a habit of not aligning and sliding nice and free like I want, any ideas how to fix it/make it smoother?

Alright, now thanks in advance!

Posted on 5 years ago

1) What's the best way to glue/stick down a B/O badge that is coming up at the edges.

I'll let the experts chime in on this, but I would say perhaps double sided tape?

2) What's the best way to glue down a large chunk of where the actual wrap is peeling up? Contact cement? I'm looking for something relatively affordable.

Yes, Can be hard to find in the small quantity that you'll need. You can also use heavy duty, double sided carpet tape cut to size.

3) What's the best way to fit in damage to a wood hoop?

Do you mean "fill in"? I use Minwax Wood Filler. Then sand and repaint/lacquer and you're good to go.

4) Best way to re-attach hoop inlay? I know they were stapled on, that's my plan, but is there any type of staple I should be using?

Don't bother with the staples. I use standard, double sided Scotch Tape. You can usually find it in narrow widths, like 1/2". Inexpensive too.

Thanks in advance for any help. And sorry for all the questions! I'll probably have more tomorrow.

5) That popped into my mind but isn't related to a bass drum. I've got a P-83 strainer that's not stuck per say, but has a habit of not aligning and sliding nice and free like I want, any ideas how to fix it/make it smoother?

I have that problem too with my P-85. Not sure...I'll let others chime in.

Alright, now thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Posted on 5 years ago

Thanks Vyacheslav! (I totally did mean fill in for the wood hoop question)

I actually ended up snooping around the forums. Got some Weldwood Contact Cement at Home Depot the other day, hoping to get around to fixing the wrap soon. I've read that this stuff is nasty so as long as I don't die, it should be good! Used some plastic wood on the hoop and it worked wonders and was nice and cheap.

That strainer problem will definitely haunt me for a while though. If anyone has a fix, you will be a hero in my eyes.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here