Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

90th Anniversary Black Beauty

I have a rare opportunity to purchase a N.O.S. Ludwig 90th anniversary Black Beauty snare, w/ brown leather case. It has never been struck, absolutely 100% mint condition. How much is this worth, so I know I'm not paying too much? It comes with C.O.A., warranty card, and original packing materials.

Posted on 18 years ago

If I were buying the drum to keep in a collection and to keep in mint condition, I would first determine what the suggested retail price was when it was sold new. Then, I would calculate 60% of that price as what they would have actually sold for (nobody really ever pays suggested retail price, after all!). Next, I would assume that most of those drums were sold with the intention of being driven only on Sundays with white gloves on. ;), so the 'value' in them would be less to a player and more to a collector...which reduces the market greatly...which in turn, makes it more difficult to sell for a profit in the future.

Therefore, you have to determine what the value in that drum is going to be for yourself. Will it be played? Will it be placed in a hermetically-sealed chamber ten miles under Cheyenne Mountain? ;)

Personally, I think those special collector drums are least likely to increase in value over time.

If you love the drum, then buy it no matter what....but, if it's never been struck, then how would you ever know if you could love it or not? :)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Well, The Value That I Will Be Purchasing It For Is Well Below The Retail. That's Why I'm Wondering If It Will Be Worth The Dough To Shell Out For It. I Am Planning On Selling It.

Posted on 18 years ago

If this is a quick buy/sell then you should be getting a really good price like $200 or $250 if it is more then it might not be worth it.

They are commonly selling for between $400 and $500

David

On another note the 70's version Engraved Black Beauty snares are

selling for a good $.

Posted on 18 years ago

The Retail Is $2000 Canadian. This Is The Limited Edition 90th Anniversary #25 Of 90.

Posted on 18 years ago

O.k. got it now, $2000 Canadian that's about $1700 U.S.

If that is the case then it really depends on what well below retail is.

Also what type of profit are you happy with.

Then again hold on to it for 30 years in that condition and it will be worth much more.

Hope that helps.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Well, The Value That I Will Be Purchasing It For Is Well Below The Retail. That's Why I'm Wondering If It Will Be Worth The Dough To Shell Out For It. I Am Planning On Selling It.

So take 60% of $1700 ( roughly, $1000) and there is your 'street price' for such a drum. So if you are getting the drum for well under $1000, then you are getting a good deal. You probably won't be able to re-sell it for more than what the street price was to begin with. Drums that were made specifically as collector's drums will probably maintain their value over time, (but probably won't increase in value a whole lot) -if kept in original collector's condition.

That's how I would figure it, anyway.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks For All Your Help Everybody

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here