Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.06472%

!8" Slingerland Bass

Hi, new to the board and looking for some insight. I'm a bassist not a set player player but I've always keep a decent kit around for sessions. I had the good fortune to luck into a pretty nice bass drum; a circa 1970 18" Slingerland. As you can see the outside looks good. The inside not quite as nice; but I don't think that bad. As far as I can tell the shell is solid. The damage may be only the inside layer of ply which has split and buckled in the areas I took pics of. The edges look to be in good shape and there don't seem to be any soft spots on the shell. My questions to the board are: 1) Anything else I can do to determine the extent of the damage without taking the wrap off? 2) Any repair that is needed I would probably have done by a pro as this is all new to me. So who would you recommend in the NYC tri state area and what would I expect to pay for that work? Thanks a lot, looking forward to any feedback. - Paul

2 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

More pics of the damaged areas.

2 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Good to have you with us, that is a very common problem brought on due to towels left in the bass drum for damping the heads. the towels hold moisture and cause the ply separation. this is a very easy fix but if you don't want to attempt it as mentioned give precision a call they are top notch. http://www.precisiondrum.com/ also the size is very desirable and the color to me is one of the best looking Black Diamond pearls wraps ever placed on a drum.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

Great, that's very helpful and yes, I realize that as both an instrument and a collector's piece it's a sought after drum. So I'll let a pro handle that. The hoops need cosmetic work which I'll do myself. A good portion of the finish has flaked off the wood. The wrap/inlay is fine but I plan to sand the wood and recoat the hoops. Any suggestions on what I should use or is any decent paint/lacquer ok? Thanks, looking forward to getting it up and running.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here