Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

'88 Custom Ludwig Classics

Morning everyone! New to the forum. Just want Ludwig fans to enjoy my newly acquired custom '88 classic Luddies! It has been a while since I owned a set that sound this great...back in '93 I sold my 72 Classics to a friend...long story short, they have disappeared !?! It's been a long time coming and finally found a new set to cherish! Cheers Ludwig fans!

1 attachments
Travis
----------------------------------------------------------
"If it moves Bash it, if it doesn't move bash it" the late, great John Bonham. R.I.P
Posted on 10 years ago

Congrats on the kit and welcome to the VDF. That's some crazy looking wrap, is it original? Any chance of getting a close up pic of it?

Cam

"If we can't be free we can at least be cheap" -FZ
Posted on 10 years ago

Custom wrap, commercial vinyl with high gloss black paint!!! Wrap is taped at seams only, original wrap is still on it...light blue sparkle with white sparkle strip. I thought the vinyl would have deadened the sound, but it seems to make it warmer. Close up pics forthcoming...waiting for delivery! Went out to see them and play them, came home in awe and made a deal with the restorer to hold them with a down payment.

Travis
"If it moves Bash it, if it doesn't move bash it" the late, great John Bonham. R.I.P
Posted on 10 years ago

I saw those on Kijiji and was intrigued. Some funky wrap that is! I hope you play some LOUD rock 'cause that kick looks huge. Congrats on a cool acquisition!

A guy in Guelph was selling a COW 6 piece B/O Ludwig with Supraphonic for $110 this week and I was caller #2 as usual...sigh! I've been kinda half expecting it to turn up here in a "score of the week" thread.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 10 years ago

Bass is deceiving...22x16. Sound is incredible though. Have a set of 72 Classics and lost them (long sad story!) and have been looking hard for a kit that was in good enough shape and the right price( 3 ply re-rings are hard to come by without a lot of spare change). There is a guy close by here that has 5 pc, early 70's marine pearl wrap for 1800.00 CAD...too rich for my blood! Anyhow these 6 ply puppies sound great and quite LARGE...love 'em. Cheers!

Travis
Posted on 10 years ago

num yum num num....this eye candy sure is delicious. thanks for sharing. nice kit and score. oh and welcome to the forum.

Stay Wiggly,
Robyn
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the welcome robyn64! Cheers.Keep on Pl

Travis
Posted on 10 years ago

72 - Those 6-ply shells are some of the -best sounding- drum shells Ludwig ever made. I had a 6-ply kit that I sold to my buddy, Kevin (I hope he chimes in here,) and he loves the sound of them too. They're great playing drums. Period.

If I may... 1. Remove that funky, taped-on vinyl wrap and restore the original condition/color of the drums. Taped on wrap is equivalent to wrapping your drums in blankets! 2. Get air-cusioned rubber feet for the floor toms and the bass drum spurs.

The kit will look better and it will sound 10x's better. You won't believe the difference in sound the air-cusioned feet produce.

Great kit, put it back to original. You won't regret it. It's all about the -sound- baby!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice Purdie...will look into a complete restore. Cheers!

Travis
Posted on 10 years ago

+1 on the air cushion feet.

I would be interested in seeing the original wrap based on your description. Congratulations!

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here