Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

83 Tama Royalstar Snare Needs Parts!

I picked this up at the flea market for $10 today. It's an 83 Royalstar 6 1/2" Steel shell snare. I have the shell, 7 out of 8 lugs, and the snare butt.

As you can see, some numbskull painted it black. The paint seems to be pretty loose, so I thought of using paint thinner to get it off. What do you think?

I have an 83 Imperialstar set, so I picked this up, hoping it would complement it. Does anyone have parts for this drum? Do you guys think it would be worth putting back together?

Any thoughts about the best way to pursue this drum would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

1 attachments
Early 70's Slingerland 4 piece
1978/76 Ludwig Vistalite 6 piece "Pro-Beat" Clear
Modern Ludwig Keystone 4 piece - Psychedelic Red
Early 80s Tama Imperialstar 6 piece- **Snare Wanted!**
Late 60's / Early 70's Zildjians
Posted on 10 years ago

I took it outside and went over it with turpentine and a scotch brite, and this is the best I could get. The paint isn't coming off the outside, but at least I got the loose stuff off the inside. I also polished the hardware.

The look is actually growing on me. It has a rugged "been there, done that, still surviving" look to it.

Now I just need some parts! Do you think it's worthwhile restoring this drum? Or should I just look for a different one?

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

I don't see why not? As long as you like the drum it does not really matter what anyone else thinks. It's a cool drum I like it.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

This drum is chrome plated right? If so, I have had great luck with this product removing clear coat and or paint on chrome surfaces without damaging the chrome. It is very easy to use. Spray on and let sit till the paint bubbles up. Wash off with wet rag and VERY FINE steel wool if needed. This may take 2-3 applications but you could have it done in a couple of hours. Let the product do the work and don't rush it. Completely remove all hardware and badge for best results. If you have an O''reilly's local they usually carry it. If it were my drum, I would restore it.

Good luck!

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/KLN3/AR322/N0483.oap?ck=Search_paint+stripper_N0483_-1_-1&keyword=paint+stripper&pt=N0483&ppt=C0171

Posted on 10 years ago

Looks kinda cool:-) You find parts on ebay, it´s a matter of paticientes;-)

These snare sounds great with Ambassador Vintage headsCool1.

regards

Christian

Posted on 10 years ago

any paint stripper brand would completely remove that in 20 minutes or less... you'd just need to watch out for the badge

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone. Does anyone have any parts for this drum?

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here