Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

80's Tama superstar bearing edges

Does anybody happen to know what kind of bearing edges classic superstars have?

Posted on 13 years ago

I think the edges on 83s and earlier are almost roundovers compared to the 1984s and onward... the latter are always a natural color, whereas the former are the same color as the interiors

Posted on 13 years ago

From davezedlee

I think the edges on 83s and earlier are almost roundovers compared to the 1984s and onward... the latter are always a natural color, whereas the former are the same color as the interiors

I thought they might be round or at least rounded to some extent. I have a small superstar kit from 81 (laquered edges) and a more modern Yamaha BCAN. They are both birch, but the superstars have this amazing warm and full tone that is quite a contrast to the more cutting attack of the BCAN's. Thanks for the help!

Posted on 13 years ago

I have a photo showing the cross section profile somewhere... I'll post it as soon as I find it

Posted on 13 years ago

voila, as promised... pre-1984 on the left, 1984 and onwards on the right

Posted on 13 years ago

Here's a pic of an '83 Superstar tom.

1 attachments
"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail". John Wooden

Blaemire / Jenkins-Martin drums.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Posted on 13 years ago

From mendozart

Here's a pic of an '83 Superstar tom.

Are you sure its an 83? It looks newer based on the butterfly nut and the bearing edge. What is the serial number? My guess on the serial will be it starts 1450, 1540, 1360 or 1630.

Posted on 13 years ago

I have a 5 piece 1983 wine set... all the edges are the same color as the interiors, and are lacquered roundovers

Posted on 13 years ago

From davezedlee

I have a 5 piece 1983 wine set... all the edges are the same color as the interiors, and are lacquered roundovers

I have several sets of Supes. I have a large set of Super Mahogs I bought new in 83/84 and they are like yours, rounded, same color. The one pictured above looks later. They changed them late 84 into 85 like you said. The same goes for the Artstar Cordias. I have some I bought new in 84 that still have the old type edge but later style badge.

Several of us 80's Tama fans have a online database for serial numbers and changes on a different forum that seems to be pretty accurate based on various other changes they made to the drums which date them to specific time periods. Not all changes happened at the same time. They changed badges middle of 1984 using a slanted T before the word Tama instead of the 90 degree T on the earlier badge. At about that time they also changed the butterfly nut. Then they went to the different bearing edges and changed the interior color on the Mahogany drums. Lots of small changes here and there.

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

From ed427vette

Are you sure its an 83? It looks newer based on the butterfly nut and the bearing edge. What is the serial number? My guess on the serial will be it starts 1450, 1540, 1360 or 1630.

The serial # was 13604037. I did order this drum later after I had ordered my kit in '83. Sadly, she is gone, along with all my other Superstars.

"Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail". John Wooden

Blaemire / Jenkins-Martin drums.

http://www.jenkinsmartindrums.com/
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here