Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

80's tama mastercraft bell brass

Hi everybody,

I just found this site and i think it's great! I have a question and i'm hoping someone here can help.

I have a tama bell brass snare from the 1980's (not the raw finish). It's a great drum, but i just ran into my first problem. I was playing snares off one day, and i noticed a very audible rattle. I was recording too and the rattle was on the recording. I searched and found the culprit.....the roller beds under the strainer and butt. I rented a bell brass a few years ago and the roller beds had been removed, probably for this reason. So I removed the roller beds from my drum and now it's a disaster. The snares are brand new, but they aren't getting the correct contact with the bottom head anymore. They are either too tight and choking the drum, or way too loose. I've experimented with bottom head tension too but its still no good.

Has anyone here had a similar experience with a mastercraft drum? Was the rental snare modified to accommodate the roller removal? It had the bell brass sound and response with the rollers removed(so no rattle). Any help with this is appreciated.

Ok thanks for your time

Posted on 14 years ago

Could we see a close up photo of the current situation?

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

ok i'll get a pic today when i go to my practice space

Posted on 14 years ago

When you remove the rollers you have to switch to a set of snares that are shorter in length than the original snares. The original snares for the Mastercraft are longer than 14 inches, closer to 15 inches which was used in conjuction with the rollers. If you remove the rollers the extra length can cause contact problems.

I'm not sure this is the problem you are having and a pic would help but it might be something to look into.

Tama made snares called Powerline snares that were essentially the Mastercraft snares without the rollers. They used the shorter snares and were very good reliable drums. They sounded fine.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi everyone. I finally got some pics after a busy holiday. They're from an iphone so sorry for the bad lighting. I'm using brand new puresound blasters. The roller is usually attached underneath the butt and throw, one per side. When it's on, the angle of the strap holding the snares is much larger. I've played another bell brass with the rollers removed and it worked fine. This one is pretty bad now, I cant get the snare sensitivity right. It goes from too loose to choked with nothing in between. I wonder if the roller is an essential part of this design, and if so, can it be modified it to work with out it. I'd rather not modify, but this is my main snare and i need it to work.

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here