Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

80s Ludwig need some info/advice

I bought these two drums the other day. I know they are from the eighties but that's about it. I love the ugliness of the butcher block cortex and I'm really excited about the sizes. Several problems though. I'm missing the spurs and the Ludwig curved spurs from the 70s don't seem to fit. (not fat enough). I'm also missing the bottom floor tom rim. Any help on locating a 20" hoop. I'd like help with a date, spur info and maybe other sizes that would have gone with this set. I'm not really looking to complete the set because I like the minimalist thing but some info on the tom mount would be useful.

Thanks

notroh73

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yup...those are truly, wonderfully hideous !

Congrats ! Falling Do

badge numbers can get you close to properly dating 'em:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/serial_numbers.html

20" hoops and those spurs comeup on Ebay every so often. if you really wanted to spend teh $, you could get repros from some online purveyors or even from official replacement Luddy parts themselves....but they'd be pricey.

You may wanna take some 120 grade sandpaper to some of those edges....gently.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Do those spurs come in two sizes?

Posted on 15 years ago

Yes. They do. The early 70's were a bit thinner. The later 70's and early 80's were much thicker. I have an 81 kit and ran into a similar situation. You can get a set complete or just the curved spurs online. Be careful with those plastic screw heads...they strip REAL easily. Luckily, there are several options for replacing them. Good luck on the kit. I'm a strange one, I guess. I've always thought the butcher block cortex wasn't too bad. You might also consider a wood hoop for that 20. It would work.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here