Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

7X14 Radio King...with clip hoops?

Hi all - first time poster here.

I've got a chance to get a 7X14 RK on the cheap - it's in rough shape, the Duco is half sanded off and much of the hardware's broken. But I've wanted an RK player for a long time, and the price is right.

Now, the hoops in the pictures I received (haven't seen it in the flesh) are double flanged, clip-hoops. That said, the shell does NOT appear to be the 3-ply Student shell, no mahogany is visible. The rest of the hardware appears to be typical RK, so my question is - did real RK's ever come with clip hoops? I haven't seen them in catalogs, perhaps they were available as special order?

I've included pics of the shell, hoops (blurry) and the hardware. Thanks for any help for a newbie -

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi,

They are incredible drums!

Are the washers for the lugs embossed "Slingerland"?

Are the hoops engraved Slingerland Radio King?

The red muffler felts are from the early forties, green were on earlier ones, I've got a '38 w/ green felts.

Care to share the "price"?

Slingerland was known for anomolies, you may have one indeed!

And didn't I evade making a definitve call on this one!

Good luck

Regards

Don

Posted on 14 years ago

I don't think they came with clips but I think I can give you a reason as to why they may be on there. The original hoops for that period are tall, in other words they have a pretty deep lip. The person that had the drum may have wanted to have a shallower drop from the top of the rim to the head.

You can buy originals and they come up on ebay quite often, in fact I missed a really nice pair that went for around $80 the other day.

If you decide to pass on the drum please let me know, that one is just how I like them for restoration. :)

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

From DonS

Hi,They are incredible drums!Are the washers for the lugs embossed "Slingerland"?Are the hoops engraved Slingerland Radio King?The red muffler felts are from the early forties, green were on earlier ones, I've got a '38 w/ green felts. Care to share the "price"?Slingerland was known for anomolies, you may have one indeed!And didn't I evade making a definitve call on this one!Good luckRegardsDon

don in 38 you could of gotten green or red felt pads, the earliest ones were the dodd muffler single pad, also i noticed on the shell pic the shell is seperated repair that, it's an easy fix, the parts will be no big deal either, your pic's is not real clear but is the badge aluminum, if yes it is war era 40's for sure, and agreed slingerland could and did build everything under the sun so yes special order possible or swapped out, who care's,I'm sure the rims are not engraved with radio king on them, so just get the double flange rims with radio king engraved on them and it will fit the normal, but you may like it better with the single flange clips rims, nothing beats that combination for tone, i mean not any!!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for all the info guys! Especially with such awful pictures. Cost-wise is currently negotiable, but I'm hoping to get it all for not much more than 100, considering what I'd have to put in on lugs, heads, snares, etc.

I haven't seen the drum in person yet, but I'm pretty sure the badge is brass, not the wartime aluminum.

If I pass on it, I'll be sure to let you guys know! Otherwise, keep an eye out for post-resto pictures. Any suggestions finish-wise?

Posted on 14 years ago

From schenk

Thanks for all the info guys! Especially with such awful pictures. Cost-wise is currently negotiable, but I'm hoping to get it all for not much more than 100, considering what I'd have to put in on lugs, heads, snares, etc.I haven't seen the drum in person yet, but I'm pretty sure the badge is brass, not the wartime aluminum.If I pass on it, I'll be sure to let you guys know! Otherwise, keep an eye out for post-resto pictures. Any suggestions finish-wise?

Hi Yes s/l did do radio kings with chip mounted rims..As far a finish i would have[or you could] Paint it to the finish that is on the drum..That's what i would do.I would not put a wrap on the drum..Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

Paint that baby!! And finish it out!!

Oooopsss uploaded 2 of the wrong one...oh well...

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here