Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

'78 Vistalites with a few Needs

> I'd love to have someone else look at these who is more familiar with drums

Sounds like a plan!

Vistalites, with the right heads, properly tuned, are some great sounding/playing drums. One word: Bonzo! Once you get that kit dialed in, you will cease to be 'bummed!' lol

Look for a good local drum-tech/instructor.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

I don't really know of anyone close by. The closest tech I would trust is about 50 minutes away, at Ritchie's Music Center in Rockaway, NJ. I live near Stroudsburg, PA. Worst case, I guess I might have to bring the set to him. Even so, I think it would still be worthwhile.

Early 70's Slingerland 4 piece
1978/76 Ludwig Vistalite 6 piece "Pro-Beat" Clear
Modern Ludwig Keystone 4 piece - Psychedelic Red
Early 80s Tama Imperialstar 6 piece- **Snare Wanted!**
Late 60's / Early 70's Zildjians
Posted on 11 years ago

Take it to Jack Lawton in PA!

Contact Information:

Jack Lawton: Owner

706 Catawissa Ave.

Sunbury, Pa. 17801-1536

Phone (570) 988-0655

email: [email]drummerboy@evenlink.com[/email]

Jack is the best in the West! Call him. Better yet, throw the tubs in the car and go see him.

Also: Dale's Drum Shop

Address:

4440 Fritchey Street, Harrisburg PA 17109

Phone:

(877) 704-5682 | (717) 652-2466

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to check out Jack Lawton. He's less than 2 hours from me. Sounds like a worthwhile trip.

-Jon

Posted on 11 years ago

Did try tuning the drums from the start again? I would slack off all the tension rods, then finger tighten them. Start in small increments, 1/4 or 1/2 turns, going across from one another in a star type pattern until you get a good tone that you like. Then fine tune by tapping the drum head about an inch in from each tension rod and try to get the same pitch out of all of them. I normally tune my bottom heads slightly higher than the batters.

I'm not happy with my vistalite bass sound at the moment either. I'm going to put a new batter head on it soon. May go with an Aquarian Super Kick II. They usually sound great on any bass drum! As far as the toms, I would stick with some sort of double ply head (Pinstripes, Emperors, etc..). On my 3 ply maple Luddys, I use coated Emperors. Love them. I will be using Pinstripes soon on my Vistalite toms. Pinstripes are usually pretty easy to tune due to the fact that they cut the over tones down alot. Just my two cents

Good luck my man!

-Justin

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Posted on 11 years ago

Hey Justin,

I'm actually thinking the same thing. I want to try tuning them myself. I was going to give it a go last weekend, but I just didn't have the time. I plan on trying it this weekend. I've watched several videos on youtube, including a very informative one from someone at DW. I'm going to drop tension on both heads of one of the toms and bring it up gradually, listening closely as I do. I don't think it's rocket science. I should be able to figure it out. I have a good ear, and have perfect pitch. I can pick out a good or bad cymbal easily, and can match up a set with ease. So, I should be able to tune a drum. I value these drums very much, so I'll take it easy with them. If I have any questions at all, I'll be sure to post them here.

My friend has a Super Kick II on the batter side of his 80's Pearl Export bass drum and really likes it. I've heard good things about them too. I have an Evans EMAD on mine. I'm really hoping it's the resonator head that's killing mine. I have no clue how to tune a bass drum. To me, that's a whole new challenge. I just know that my two other bass drums really trump this one. Especially my 70's Slingerland. That thing trumps all. It's a real thump-o-matic and I love it.

-Jon

Posted on 11 years ago

I'm really thinking about going the Remo CS black dot route ala Bonham. My introduction to CS came when I got my Roto toms. I've been really happy with them on the Roto toms, and am curious what they'd be like on the Vistalites. I'm sure they'd be quite different, as the CS are single ply with a dot, where as the EC2s are (as I understand it) 2 ply with an aluminum ring around the edge.

-Jon

Posted on 11 years ago

My drummer friend came over yesterday, and I took a shot at re-tuning the Vistalites. It turned out they really weren't tuned well at all. Each drum had one or two lugs that were way slack compared to the rest. Plus, they were all tuned flat. Just using my ear, I was able to get them all sounding a lot better. I use the basic method of tuning the resonator head about a third higher than the batter, then tweaking by ear.

I also replaced the snare batter head (Remo Ambassador X) with a Remo CS black dot. Does anyone know what an Ambassador X is? I've only ever heard of a regular Ambassador.

-Jon

EDIT: I found the Ambassador X on the remo site. According to Remo:

Ambassador® X™ heads from Remo® utilize the same film as the industry standard Coated Ambassador® but are 20% thicker producing greater attack, volume and wider mid range tones while increasing durability and providing a unique feel for enhanced stick rebound. Available in sizes 8” through 16”.

Sounds like a nice head to me. Hopefully I can use it on a vintage SS snare soon. It's in like new condition.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here