Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

72 slingerland pics

Hello, I just wanted you guys to see these drums. There nothing special. But I think I am going to like playing this set. I haven't played them yet, but they sound good..

They are beat up, but that's ok. I play them just the way they are. You can tell by the photo's hopefully, that there is some strange things about this set.

First, it seems that part of the re-enforcement rings on the bass drum has broken off or was pulled off. I really can't tell. I think there not solid rings.

Second, the original owner of this set put a bass drum bracket on the side of the floor. Probably to use it as a hanging tom. But that's ok, I will just leave it on.

But such is life. I will probably have this set for a long time. Heck, I had my last set for almost 40 years! So I don't change sets too often if I like they way they sound. All in all, a pretty good deal for $225.00.

martinbr

5 attachments
84.3 kB
129.1 kB
122.3 kB
120.3 kB
80.6 kB
Posted on 14 years ago

Gee, I am kinda dissapointed that I didn't even get one response back on the photos that I uploaded on these new old vintage drums that I just purchased. Maybe they are just one of the many thousands of run of the mill slingerlands that have been put onto this forum? Or maybe that I am just new to this forum?

Posted on 14 years ago

I thought they were cool...just a little to modified for me to be that into them. But, if you like them, that's all that matters!Cool Dude

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

Remember, it is Thanksgiving weekend...And they are gonna be cool when you get them all cleaned up.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

The reinforcement ring is good, just a bit of a raw edge on the wood.

Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

Remember, it is Thanksgiving weekend...And they are gonna be cool when you get them all cleaned up.

Yep, traffic was slow on the forum this weekend. I actually got a few things done around the house for a change.

A darn good deal for $225..... more left-overs for the other goodies!!!!

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

What are the sizes? Could you snap a pic of the badge? Those look like a pretty cool kit. I would imagine that those 3 ply shells sing. A bit of spot n polish and some new heads will do wonders for a kit. No worries about that bass. Easy to repair. Good stuff for the dough.

Posted on 14 years ago

Geez don't underestimate these drums, they're special; Slingerland 3-plies for 2 and a 1/4?? And it looks like a 14x14 floor tom? For what you paid you could remove the unwanted hardware, dowel up the holes and wrap them in something vintage looking; pearl or sparkle and never worry about "resale"! Really nice score!!

Regards

DonS

Posted on 14 years ago

Those are sweet! I have a set of 70's Slingerlands and they're a blast to play (and, like yours, a little beat up but that doesn't affect the sound so it's never bothered me.)

Also...I don't know if it's just the pictures but your badges almost look black and brass versus black and silver, which could make the kit a little older (or newer, too, I guess after looking at the badge guide.)

Maybe not. Either way, enjoy 'em.

Troy

Posted on 14 years ago

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies back on my new old drums. I just took them apart today and dusted them out and tightened up all the lug screws.

The badges are the black and gold style which makes this set possibly around 62-70. The guy I bought the drums from said he was the original owner of the drums and bought them brand new in 72 in New Jersey. But they could have been sitting in the drum shop or maybe at the Slingerland wherehouse. I don't know. All I know is that sound very, very goood. I really like the sound of the toms. I haven't tried the bass yet since I really haven't even taken them to a gig since I am starting from scratch and having to pick up all my hardware, stands, pedals, ect... Man!, I can't believe I sold everything I had with the intention of never playing drums again.

I am thinking now about taking them all apart in the future and having them re-painted. I thought about wrap, but the small tom is wrapped and I can hear a noticable difference in the sound quality vs. wrap or natural finish. But then again, there are some nice wrap finishes out there and would make the job so much easier. Who knows, I might change my mind later on.

Oh also, someone inquired about the sizes and they are 14X20, 8X12, and 14X14. I am very happy with these sizes. I played a 18" bass drum for the past 35 years since all I play is bebop so I always wanted to switch to a 20" just for a change. I wanted to get a little bit more bottom.

thanks,

martinbr

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here