Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

72 set of Beat up Slingerlands

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am really not a vintage collector but I had to sell my set of 70's gretsch drums last year due to finances and need to get another set of drums. Obviously Gretsch are out of the question due to there bizaar price increase in the last few years.

So I use to have a 70's slinglerland cocktail set that I use to use for practicing on and thought maybe I might try this brand at this stage of my life. My last set I had for almost 40 years so I am looking for a set that I can play for a long time.

I have a chance to pick up a set of 72 Slingerlands in sizes, 14X20, 8X12, and 14X14. They are in black painted laquer except the small tom which is black wrap. It is a little older drum with no badge and has a stamp of 1964 on the inside of the shell.

From the research I did on this site, it looks like they were 3 ply maple shells mixed with some other wood with re-enforcement hoops.

They sound good but are a little different from gretsch. Probably has to do with the hoops. They are beat up as far as the paint, but no big gouges or cracks. They need to be refinished. It definately is a project kit.

I think I can get them for $250.00. Is this a fair price for something of this year? Were they good drums for that year? Sorry, I don't have photos but the badges start at 28xxxx. This corresponds with the timeline so I guess the guy is telling me the truth about them. Hey said he bought them in 72 and he is the original owner.

thanks,

martinbr

Posted on 14 years ago

If the 14x14 is in good shape, it's worth close to the total price of the three drums. I just sold a 1971 16x16 which is not as desirable a size for $240.00.

It's not a matched set, with the ride being 8 years older, but for $250, big deal.

Personally, I would refinish last, and get a snare and other goodies first. And I would refinish that floor tom only if it's not the original finish, or just too ugly to bear. If re-sale value is not going to be an issue, then by all means make em look just the way you want. That's just me, and I am by no means an expert here, there's lots of cats here who are vastly more experienced than I, but that's my take on it. The 3-ply Slingerlands are great drums, very undervalued in general, and sound great. I have a set from 1977, I love them, they will probably out-live me, and they are certainly in better shape than this old house. Maybe not as pretty....LOL !!

Welcome to the Forum, best of luck with the purchase, and Happy Thanksgiving !!!

2 attachments
Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Kevin is right, Slingerlands are undervalued. As long as all the parts are there then 250.00 is a good price. And if they are lacquer then they can be refinished easier than a wrap. Personally I like black lacquer drums, I have a Slingy set that a friend of mine did a piano black lacquer on, very classy!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here