Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

72 5 piece Ludwig Blue oyster Pearl

I just had my set shipped to me from back east and I'm in need of info.. First, The Hi Hat stand,, below the bottom cymbal there is a felt cushion and a washer,, but the cymbal moves around, is there a part that I'm missing to keep it in place??? Also, I know Ludwig stopped making the Blue Oyster in 78-79 due to the casing schrinking,, so how rare are these sets,, Mine are in excellent condition,, except for the snare, which has pitting on it.. Any info would help ,,, Thanks

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Can you snap some pics and post 'em ?

I dunno if rare is the word, but they are sought-after for sure.

Does the 'hat stand tilter have it's entire plastic stem piece on it, or has it worn down significantly ?

Oh....welcome ![/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the response,, To the best of my knowledge, There has never been a plastic piece there,, And as for "rare" I'm just repeating what I've heard from people.. And the reason I used that word is Ludwig told me that the Blue Oyster would shrink after a while, that's why they stopped making it in the late 70's.............As for pictures,, I have to wait for one of my kids to do it for me... Don't know how the new cameras work,, I am Old School,,,Go figure,,,,,,,,,,

Posted on 15 years ago

Welcome to the forum. I have a 68 skyblue 5 piece ludwig kit like yours.

Click on this link and wait for the catalog to download and go to page 5 and them zoom in on the hi hat stand top and see how a hi hat stand is supposed to be assembled. Then you can save the catalog to your computer and view it anytime you want. This is a new model catalog, but the hardware is pretty much the same. Hope thsi helps.

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/pdf/av1453.pdf

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 15 years ago

Tony,

If your hi hat is the old Ludwig "SpurLok" type, it uses a stepped bushing in the tube to hold the washer and felt in place and allow guide the rod to work smoothly.

Here's a pic:

http://www.geocities.com/just_r_c/SpurLokGuideBushing.jpg

These are no longer available from Ludwig. I had to engineer my own to repair my SpurLok. I took two sizes of cymbal bushings and drilled the larger one to allow the smaller one to fit inside the larger one. Then I cut the larger one shorter to about the demision I needed to fit the end of the smaller one and glued them together with PVC glue. Looks and works like the original.

Some are not so purist and just cut off the SpurLok flange and replace the whole seat assembly with a new style Plastic Gibralter or Ludwig one.

Good luck.

RC

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Justrc,,, I didn't know what you meant at first,, Then I started going through all the parts I had and guess what I found,, That piece that holds the bottom cymbal of the hi hat in place,,, Thanks for showing me what it looks like,, I would have never known,, Also,, The edges of the hold down rims for the bass,, on mine they are black and worn, Is it painted or is there something special that Ludwig used... Thanks again,,,,,,,,,,,,

Posted on 15 years ago

Tony,

If by "hold down rims for the bass" you are refering to the wooden hoops for the bass drum, then, yes they are painted black and have a matching center strip of wrap. In your case it should be BOP. All I have is a pick of a '71 Hollywood for reference but should be pretty similar to '72 .

http://www.geocities.com/just_r_c/1971_ludwig_hollywood.jpg

I think '76 was the year they switched to solid wooden hoops without the wrap. Mine is a '78 and they are solid black.

RC

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here