Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

70's/80's Sonor Phonics/Plus kit

Hello, everyone.

Just wanted to give an update on my 70's/80's Sonor Phonics/Plus kit I am working on....

Due to overwhelming negative responses about rewrapping, I decided against it. I just decided to tear everything down, and give it the old elbow grease cleaning...couldnt really get the real bad discoloring out, but it looks a heck of a lot better.

The snare (14x6.5) was really easy...about 3 hours start to finish...still cant find anyone who knows why someone would line the bearing edges with rubber hose filled with BBs, then stuff vertical BIC pens tipped with rubber hose next to the lugs, but whatever...

The toms (13x9, 14x10, 15x12, and 16x14...all 9 ply beech) are all done...about 32 hours in those alone. They are all reheaded and tuned, and boom like thunderclouds. They sound great.

Im working on the bass drum (24x16...same as the toms...9 ply beech) currently...I have it torn down, and stripped, and started the initial gunk removal before getting into the hardcore cleaning...so far, so good.

Next stop is the 2 combo tom/cymbal stands, and cymbal arms...theyre gonna be cake...no pitting or rust, just a lot of nasty crud...

I will have pics up a.s.a.p. Thanks to everyone who helped me on here...

1980's Sonor Phonics 6 piece

24x14, 13x9, 14x10, 15x12, 16x14, 14x6.5

www.facebook.com/KillonSight518hxc

www.youtube.com/troycorefam518

[url]www.reverbnation.com/killonsight518
Posted on 13 years ago

cant wait to see them pic cause im a sonor addict lol

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 13 years ago

glad to see the project is coming along,I have detailed a phonic kit and they came back great,plus you really get to see how well built they are.I remember your post about the snare and BB's and could not fathom why someone would do such except to muffle over ring maybe.

Posted on 13 years ago

Yea, thats what a lot of guys from my local stores have said...but after I removed them, changed the heads, new snares and everything, the ringing wasnt that bad....especially to take measures that extreme. It kind of reminds me of Alex Van Halen's snare sound on the 1984 album...deep and cutting....the overtones are there, but a little moongel at 12 and 6 on the head about 1" off the rim, and its practically gone.

Like I said, there is still some discoloring in the wrap, but its coming along good....pics are coming soon!

1980's Sonor Phonics 6 piece

24x14, 13x9, 14x10, 15x12, 16x14, 14x6.5

www.facebook.com/KillonSight518hxc

www.youtube.com/troycorefam518

[url]www.reverbnation.com/killonsight518
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here