Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

70's Supraphonic 6.5 x 14 - HELP

I snagged a sweet (darn near mint) 6.5 supra blue/olive. Just wondering...I have heard the jargon tossed around about all the Bonzo hype, but what gives with the 400 and 402 etc.....can anyone point me to some FAQ about this snare? Thanks a ton!

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi OMD, The jargon & hype relating Bonzo to this drum,is mainly when you see one for sale.Let the man rest in peace,stop the exploitation.If one wants to give Bonzo his due,find a better,more respectful way.I feel this way about Bonham because, I not only respect him,I got to see Zep (just once in '71).The other thing is,Ludwig sold a zillion of these drums...no wonder they're one of the most recorded snares in history.They're an all around good workhorse.I have them in Ludalloy ,SuperSensitive,Supra,60's,70's & 80's era.One is a brass shell too.FYI

Posted on 16 years ago

I agree about letting the guy rest. What I am wondering, if they were so mass produced and used etc.....why the high prices like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/70s-LUDWIG-6-5x14-Chrome-Supra-402-Bonham-Special_W0QQitemZ320210786413QQihZ011QQcategoryZ64434QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and I do a completed search and they are many near a grand.

Also, like I was eluding to, what is a supra 400 vs a supra 402?

Posted on 16 years ago

The 400 and 402 are catalogue numbers.

400 is for the 5" deep version.

402 is for the 6.5" deep version.

The 6.5s are more expensive because there were

much less of them made.

Average price for a Supra 402 is around $400-600 bucks

for a vintage one, because of the rarity of them compared to Supra 400s.. They dont pop up that often.. Theres usually like

one vintage one on ebay.

That link you posted went for so much because it was in

mint condition.. usually there is pitting and flaking on the

shell (chrome doesnt bond to well to aluminum).

Harrison
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here